Need a feature, "Disable Automatic Par Pausing"

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Need a feature, "Disable Automatic Par Pausing"

Postby jayw654 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:41 am

I absolutely HATE the fact that Newsbin v6.30 automatically pauses Par files. I want a setting so I can always automatically download ALL par files. It is EXTREMELY annoying to have to manually unpause all the Par files. I want all the par files to automatically download all the time, Forever and Permanently! The as needed method simply SUCKS!
jayw654
n00b
n00b

Re: Need a feature, "Disable Automatic Par Pausing"

Postby DThor » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 am

Disabling autopar lets you micromanage to your heart's content and live a life relatively free of caps and exclamation marks.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby jayw654 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:57 am

Nice remark, lol However you are incorrect even with the "disable autopar" checked it still pauses Par files. Any other ideas?
jayw654
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:37 am

You might not be running the 6.3 release then. I disabled autopar. Made sure that "par into wishlist" wasn't checked then added a rar set to the download list. Nothing was paused. When I hit the + button, all the files were shown set to download.

Stuff that's already in the download list is already set so, changing modes will only impact newly added sets.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby biosteel » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:21 am

Is there a possibility to have AutoPar enabled while still downloading all pars regardless if they are needed or not?

In my case it would simplify manual recovery in case AutoPar doesn't work as intended.
I'd gladly take the few mbs downloaded rather than the manual unpausing every so often.
biosteel
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:13 am

The latest beta release handles pars a little differently(build 1844), try that if you aren't already. Basically, Newsbin is more aggressive about downloading pars if there's problems. Personally, I think the goal is to get newsbin handling more things better, and if there is a problem, to be a little more aggressive about snagging pars and repairing, rather than yet another special case option(automated but also an extra 15% data being downloaded for no reason). In a way, the latest is somewhat like what you're asking for, but the extra downloading only kicks in when there's a problem.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:56 am

I'm planning more tweeks to autopar too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby biosteel » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:53 am

That's great Quade!
Might I suggest offering AutoPar to be run at the end of a download Queue or even manually?
It'd allow to prevent disk usage to interfere with downloading.
My goal is to max out the line when it is needed and have it idle or off otherwise.

I totally agree on preferring Newsbin being as thorough as possible.
Although i really do prefer to be able to use brute force by default.
In my book Bandwidth consumption weighs far less than manual work spent on salvaging downloads.
Thanks for the Tip DThor! will try Build 1844.
biosteel
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:06 am

Might I suggest offering AutoPar to be run at the end of a download Queue or even manually?

This only works for you. Won't work for people who have TB or 2 in the download list or who never let their download lists empty.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=30069

Is a way to increase the buffering Newsbin does when the disks slow down. In this post, the user says it solved his "slowing download while unrar" issue. There's another method which lets Newsbin keep the whole file in memory before writing it out. I'd try the packet buffers first. It's more reliable.

You could also set Newsbin to unrar to a different drive, which should reduce the load on the current drive. I can download and unrar while maintaining 200+ Mbps download speed without using the packet buffer tweek so, you should be able to too. This depends on your download disks of course and CPU power.

I'm not keen on deferring all unrar processing till the end. I'm not saying no but, it's not really how I see Newsbin working.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby hankinsrl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:57 am

I'm running V 6.30 build 1832 and also a paused par hater. It is indeed happening in this version. :evil:
hankinsrl
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/09/03

Postby hankinsrl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:01 am

woops. I am remiss. Now I see the discussion about 1844...I will try that as well. Thank you good Sirs.
hankinsrl
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/09/03

Return to V6 Technical Support