Everything gone!

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Everything gone!

Postby Beemer2 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:17 pm

I opened my NB V6 64bit tonight to find that all my server data, all newsgroups and downloaded headers had disappeared. However the already downloaded files are in their folders.

Before I touch anything would someone offer some advice.

Beemer
Beemer2
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/05/10

Re: Everything gone!

Postby Quade » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:57 pm

Depending on the version, you can select Options/Load Backup configuration on restart". Then when you restart it'll show you a list of older configuration files you can save and use. It's for sure in 6.3.

If you don't have that, you might want to search your disk for files that end in ".nbi" and see if you can find one that has all of your server details and groups (you can look at it with WordPad). If you do. Make a backup copy of this file then with Newsbin not running, try double-clicking it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Beemer2 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:12 am

Quade,

Thanks, the backup worked. Strange in that I found only one nbi across all my disks and that was the "empty" one. The backup showed around six to choose from and the laterst worked fine.

Any idea as to how an okay NBI could be wiped? The only thing I did yesterday was to remove one of my monitors (the system one) and so the desktop moved over to the second monitor. That said I had Newsbin 6.3 working fine until it was closed and re-opened.

Beemer
Beemer2
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/05/10

Postby Quade » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:08 am

If Newsbin is killed just as it's writing to the NBI, that would kill the NBI file. Other than that I don't know. Newsbin stores the backups in encrypted form in the GUIItems.db3. I highly recommend keeping a backup of you own though. Can never have too many backups.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby shortfinger » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:46 pm

i just open newsbin today and everything was gone. found your info and thanks for it and thank you newsbin for making backups too. your right about back ups more the better so i have made a few more backups just in case
what a relief
thank you

quote="Quade"]If Newsbin is killed just as it's writing to the NBI, that would kill the NBI file. Other than that I don't know. Newsbin stores the backups in encrypted form in the GUIItems.db3. I highly recommend keeping a backup of you own though. Can never have too many backups.[/quote]
shortfinger
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/31/08

Return to V6 Technical Support