Lost filter profiles in upgrade

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Lost filter profiles in upgrade

Postby dane » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:15 am

HI Quade

Recently upgraded to 6.30B4 build 1747 and lost the default filter profiles for each group. Reset them and they show properly on the group tab, but when I load headers for a group and go to that tab, I still need to manually select the profile.

Also, when downloading headers I find that the pause download button doesn't work. The speed limiter has some effect, but the pause button seems to have no effect.

btw, for future reference, would you rather that two questions such as these be handled in separate posts?

Thanks
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/25/05

Re: Lost filter profiles in upgrade

Postby DThor » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:12 am

You'll need to have a backup of filters.db3 from your data folder. It should have carried over, it's hard to say what happened. Possibly, actually probably, your old filters file is sitting in the old data folder. You could copy it over. Be sure newsbin is shut down when you do this.

Downloading headers can't be paused. It's the nature of usenet - you send a command to the server to send you a header range, it responds with the data in a stream. There's no support in the protocol for a pause-continue later.

I don't think asking multiple questions in one thread is a problem. At least you started a new thread - some people stick unrelated questions on the end of other people's threads. :)

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:31 am

Also, when downloading headers I find that the pause download button doesn't work. The speed limiter has some effect, but the pause button seems to have no effect.

You can just delete the header download from the list and re-add it later. It'll start up again where it left off. As D says, there's no way to stop a transfer from the server once one it started (other than abandoning the connection).
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dane » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks guys, but before I try this, a little more detail on where I'm likely to find the .db3 file and where I want to copy it to would be appreciated.

Thanks,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:14 pm

Well, it might be gone, there's no guarantee, but open options/setup/open data folder. The one that's in there with the latest release is probably your empty one, you'll need to track down where your older release data folder was. you can alway do some searches for the filter file.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby dane » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi Guys - I think I mislead you - I didn't lose the filter profiles - they're just not displayed as defaults on a group by group basis.

Before upgrading, if I had brought up the properties for a group and set a default filter profile, when I opened that group, the default filter profile was pre-selected and all I had to do was "turn it on."

After upgrading, I had to reselect default filters on each of my groups properties sheet - which went fine. Now on the group tab, next to each group, the proper default filter profile is listed, but when I open the group, the filter drop down display is empty and I have to select the filter and then turn it on. (btw, I've checked the filters and they are structured as they should be.)

Hope this is clearer than my original post,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:38 am

Ah, I see, if I re-read your original post, that is what you said. That is odd. Quade might have a thought, I don't know offhand. What version did you upgrade from?

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby dane » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:49 am

Hi DThor - thanks for your response. I had used 60B7 and upgraded to a file called 600-install which I assume was the 6.0 release.

DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:00 am

One thing you might try is, under the options menu, Reset Display Layout on Restart. I have no idea if this will help, and of course this means you'll need to rearrange the layout again next session, but it sounds like a glitch as opposed to a bug per se. I can certainly see filters on my group properties.

One last thought - you have a "Global" filter set, right?

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby dane » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks, DThor, I"ll try to reset the layout. If that doesn't work maybe I'll try to revert to 6.0 and then reupgrade.

Come to think of it, I don't see a global filter in the filter list. What does it mean if there isn't one, and can I create a new one?

Thanks,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 am

It was just a hunch, might not be the issue. Global is 'supposed' to be there, maybe you get this behaviour if it's missing(that would be a bug)?

Global is the 'default' filter, typically I have it set to never download raw .exe, pps, and scr files. I also personally exclude anything with '.exe' in the subject, that rarely ends well. Anyway, you don't need to add anything, but try making that, and restart newsbin, see if that helps.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby dane » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Dear Quade & DThor

Downgraded to v.6.0 build 1019 and it behaves as it should - displays the proper default filter when I load a group. Re-upgraded to 6.30b4 build 1747 and it once again stopped loading the default filter, so I'm back to 6.0 working fine.

I'll try rebuilding the global filter, but if that doesn't help guess I'll have to wait for a future version. OR can I somehow rename the data file folder, do a clean install instead of an upgrade and the switch back so that I've got my groups and history?

Thanks for all your help,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dane » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:22 am

I have been using 6.0 since I could not get 6.3 to properly recognize my group filters. Tried 6.31 - build 1858 and filters are properly selected for each group. Don't know what the difference between the 2 betas is, but happy to be back in the upgrade stream.

Thanks,
DaDane
dane
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support