patchwork

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

patchwork

Postby UlrichKliegis » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:49 am

Background for this question:
I stopped using group and article lists to select topics some time ago - it is practically impossible in groups where several hundred or thousand new articles appear each day or even each hour. Apart from that, people are very creative with new group names, conclusion: this does not work for binary groups any more, except for some special ones, ebook tech for example. So, I use hopefully appropriate search engines, mostly binsearch.info

This search engine composes its nzb files from whatever it finds. And it seems it composes collections of rars and pars from various groups if they have been crossposted. There is no option to say: grab everything only from where the whole collection is complete. The result: Newsbin truely collects everything and puts it together in the (defined) "unrared" folder. If the collection came in rar files. if not (pdf s are often posted without the rar step, mp3 s as well), the results are scattered all over the place. I don't blame Newsbin for this, it just obediently fetches what the nzb file tells it.

My question is rather: What can I do to optimize the order on my computer here, use another search engine (which one?), change settings, look for a different source of fun?

Thanks for your good advice in advance!

Cheers,
Ulli
UlrichKliegis
Active Participant
Active Participant

Re: patchwork

Postby DThor » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:50 am

Google is helpful:

http://www.usenetcompare.com/nzbsites.php

Personally, I like nzbmatrix. Really, it depends on what you want, try before you buy is the best option, or try the free ones fwiw.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Re: patchwork

Postby UlrichKliegis » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:04 am

Wow, thanks. I was not aware of the increased number and volume of these. That will help. Next will be: A super-meta-search engine that excerpts the best from those listed... posting.php?mode=reply&f=43&t=29581#

U.
UlrichKliegis
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to V6 Technical Support