Any way to create folders from the Subject Line?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Any way to create folders from the Subject Line?

Postby KTDOG » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Let say hypothetically that I download a NZB file with the name: selected_reports_20111005-231654.nzb

Within that NZB is a listing of the files, with Subject Lines like:

subject="[12345]-[FULL]-[#a.b.x264@EFNet]-[ Movie.2010.720p.BluRay.x264-TEAM ]-[001/105] - "movie.720p.nfo" yEnc

or in some cases:

subject="[12345]-[#a.b.x264@EFNet]-[ Movie.2010.720p.BluRay.x264-TEAM ]-[001/105] - "movie.720p.nfo" yEnc

Is there any way that I can get Newsbin Pro to create a folder using part of the subject line, say "Movie.2010.720p.BluRay.x264-TEAM" and then to dump all files with similar subjects into that same folder?
KTDOG
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/09/02

Re: Any way to create folders from the Subject Line?

Postby RayMark » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Yes, that would be very helpful, provided Newsbin takes intelligently a suitable substring from the subject.

Or to use the name of the nzb file for folder.
Often nzb files are posted together with rar files, and often the nzb files have the most suitable, most precise names with upper/lower case letters correctly preserved, etc.
So an alternative to a subject substring would be to take the name of the nzb file.

Of course, it is not always easy to determine which nzb file belong to which post.
Sometimes the names are very close, so such an implementation is possible:

some.title.s01e06.720p.hdtv.x264-crimson.rar
Some.Title.S01E06.720p.HDTV.x264-CRiMSON.nzb

But, unfortunately, this is the best case scenario.
In other cases, the rar file name might contain additionally the title of the episode but nzb - no title,
or the rar file name might have episode number as 106 while in nzb - S01E06,
or the rar file name might have the release group name at the beginning, not at the end.
And there are cases when the poster offers a rebus to solve, for example (I have to give here the real nzb file name, not sure if it is allowed, if not, please delete it):

the.tale.of.twin.slayers.104.720p-dimension.rar
Ringer.S01E04.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.nzb

The name is pretty obvious to me, but it might be too difficult for Newsbin to solve :)
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Postby KTDOG » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:45 pm

One trick that might be employed is if newsbin could search between each set of parentheses looking for the one with the largest number of periods. Select that one and then create a folder. If a poster doesn't use the regular subject line protocol then a default folder like "Name Missing" would appear.
KTDOG
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Something like that's on my todo list. It should be possible to setup a number of regular expression, either inside Newsbin or accessible to the user or both to extract the the formats used for posting. Basically it would be sequential

- Does it match this format
- Does it match the next format.

And so on. Ideally Newsbin could then watch for matches and download matching files automatically as well as downloading them to the proper folder. I assume this is for collecting as opposed to using? Or would you use the same logic for the unrar folder?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RayMark » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:34 pm

I think it is more important not to spread (wrongly) one post into multiple folders, if several posts are included into the same folder - it is not so bad.
So substrings such as [39/85] have to be excluded
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Postby KTDOG » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:39 am

This would work for collecting or using or both collecting and using.

I think your software's existing selectable options are perfect:

I love the time-savings of having the software being able to...
(a) auto-verify and repair
(b) auto-unwinrar
(c) auto-deletion of the original files to the recycling bin

The last crucial step is what my request is all about. I'd love it if the files were automatically downloaded into an appropriately named folder based on the subject line.

This is the last and only step I still have to do manually.

If you feel like getting particularly creative, please add a new column to your Download List called Unrar Path. This would indicate where the unrar file will be placed.
KTDOG
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby KTDOG » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:12 am

It has been about a year since I posted this feature request. I saw this info on the latest version of the software: "New pathing mechanism to allow you to insert different elements to create custom download paths" and thought that this request may have come to fruition. I looked at the feature but I am not sure if this is now an option.
KTDOG
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:31 am

Well, you'll have to give it a try and let me know. In the options, download path setting. Click "Edit" then double-click "$(SUBJECT) to add it to the path.

Build 2059 uses the first subject for the selected files so, that would probably group them the way you want. Others have asked that the subject be used "per file" so, they can bulk ad.

I don't use this feature so, basically I change it to make the most people happy.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby KTDOG » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:02 pm

I tried it out this morning. It looks like it copies and simplifies the subject line removing illegal characters. This is a great addition and gets me closer to the ideal. Thank you.
KTDOG
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support