Expand Set

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Expand Set

Postby tggg » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:48 pm

In V6 is there a way just to have it expand the set by default? I've used different versions of Newsbin since 2003 or so and I've never had a learning curve with the UI, but damn V6 is kicking my butt. I can't get used to the "some" of the headers being rolled up under the plus sign and I am also having a hard time with the the completed downloads not removing themselves from the download list. The rest of it I think I can get used to, so if there is a way to accomplish either of my issues please let me know.

I have also noticed like others like some others that when there are quite a few headers in the download list, eventually V6 decides to take a nap and quit, until it is stopped and restarted. I've never experienced this before with Newsbin.
tggg
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/06/03

Re: Expand Set

Postby Quade » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:02 pm

I am also having a hard time with the the completed downloads not removing themselves from the download list.

Is autopar turned on and is it set to unrar? If yes, the download list should be self-clearing. You might want to exit, then delete the file "Autopar2.db3" from the data folder. Then see if it starts clearing the list with new downloads.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby tggg » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:04 pm

Something else that would be nice to have again, is the ability to arrange your group list the way you want it. I believe I read this request in another thread also. I would just like to "one up" the request. :o
tggg
n00b
n00b

Postby tggg » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Thank you for your reply. I checked within Options, then the Autopar Options, and I have nothing checked, so since Disable Autopar is not checked I would assume Autopar is turned on. I will do as you suggested and delete the .db3 file and give it a shot.
tggg
n00b
n00b

Postby Sjah » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:46 am

quote: In V6 is there a way just to have it expand the set by default?

I think there isn't that option yet, I just came to this forum, to ask the same question, but decided to join your topic instead of opening a new one.

So can anyone answer that question? It is a feature I want inserted . Especially for the download items, if i import an NZB i want it shown expanded, so that pushing the Plus isn't needed.
Sjah
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:52 am

As an aside, keep in mind you can Ctl-a/select all posts and shift-right arrow, and they all open. These could be assigned to single function keys, or if you have the keyboard, a macro to a single key. It's not the same, no, but it's pretty fast. If you happen to load a lot of posts, you might notice this can take quite some time. That's a really good reason to not want it as a default, just use it when you really need it. But anyway, the issue of optioning it or not, that's a reasonably fast workaround.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Sjah » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:59 pm

I don't want it as a default foor all users, i want the option to have it default for myself, I am the one to decide if I want it. Image link not allowed for unregistered users
Sjah
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:55 pm

I said, an aside. I was offering a suggestion, not arguing with you.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby orion2323 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:13 am

DThor wrote:As an aside, keep in mind you can Ctl-a/select all posts and shift-right arrow, and they all open. These could be assigned to single function keys, or if you have the keyboard, a macro to a single key. It's not the same, no, but it's pretty fast. If you happen to load a lot of posts, you might notice this can take quite some time. That's a really good reason to not want it as a default, just use it when you really need it. But anyway, the issue of optioning it or not, that's a reasonably fast workaround.

DT

Wow, great trick, I've been hating Versin 6.0 because of the "compacted" load mode...

Thanks again!
orion2323
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby skean » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:22 am

I would also like to have it expanded automatically. I'll have to use that trick for now though. Really drives me up the wall they remove a feature :evil:
skean
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/06/04

Postby littlefoot » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:46 am

I would like to see it as a right click option on the plus sign
right click the " + " and have expand all as an option then right click " - " and compact all as an option
also as a toggle under the view in the menu bar

other then that v6.11 looks great
just expanding 50 plus signs are getting frustrating...may have to learn how to assign macros as suggested in this thread
littlefoot
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/13/06

Postby fossi » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:52 am

DThor wrote:As an aside, keep in mind you can Ctl-a/select all posts and shift-right arrow, and they all open.

:!: :!: :!: thank you so much, a great tip, save me a lot of manual clicking :D
fossi
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/03/06

Return to V6 Technical Support