Coming back to Usenet

There is no such thing as a stupid question here as long as it pertains to using NewsBin. Newbies feel free to get help getting started or asking questions that may be obvious. Regular users are asked to be gentle. :-)

Moderators: Quade, dexter

Coming back to Usenet

Postby eclapwannabe » Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:07 pm

I have bee3.n away for about 3.5 years. I changed computers in February of 2021 and never rebuilt my Newsbin 64 program. I am in the process of getting another computer because the one I am on was purchased on the cheap the last time. I have means now to invest in a great machine and I have a upto 300 mbps broadband connection. I may switch to a 500 mb connection but I play no games and I am the only one who lives in my townhome. I will have a 65" Smart TV and a Samsung Sethernet 24+ smartphone and a new computer that will have a ethernet port. So I will be getting some nice speeds. Once I get my new machine I will be rebuilding my Newsbin 64 program.

A couple of things. I already have a block account with The Cubenet. I am thinking of going with a 1 year plan with one of the Dutch News providers. How is the best way to pay for that 1 year service. Use my Bank Credit Card, My bank Debit Card or Google Pay?
Will I need to download all the versions of Newsbin 64 that I have missed since February 2021?

Thanks for any help
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Coming back to Usenet

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:34 pm

You can download and install any version you want if you're starting from scratch. 6.91RC1 has a crash problem but, I might use one before that.

These days, most of the servers are pretty close to the same. The trick with modern usenet is to download before the files get pulled.

One big change is many groups are "NZB Only" so you probably need to sign up with an NZB site.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to Newbie Forum