Max Retries not working?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Max Retries not working?

Postby mjpierce » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:51 am

6.71B4 Max Retries does not seem to be working.

I have mine set to 1.
Only one server active.
Cleared the download list and logs.
Test downloaded a file reporting 35 missing parts and I get 35 logs.
Really download the file this time.
I'm looking at 518 missing parts logs and they just keep coming.
The download progress shows white at the end which fills in with red and goes back to white, then repeats over and over.
mjpierce
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/29/06

Re: Max Retries not working?

Postby Quade » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:35 pm

Really download the file this time.

1 - You can just "retry download" on a test to turn it into a real download.

2 - I'm not seeing anything that would trigger "retries". It doesn't normally retry till after it's already tried to download the whole set of files.

The difference in time between the "test" and the actual download might mean the difference between it working and not working. If you're racing against the files being removed from the server than that gap in time might be the difference between success and failure. The fact you had 35 failures during test and many more during the actual download suggests this.

I can only guess this is the case from your symptoms.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mjpierce » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:39 pm

I think I did not use the proper terminology.
I should have said "Articles" instead of "Parts".
I was only testing one file, a nnnnn.part01.rar with noting else in the download list.
The logs were 430's. One for each missing article in the test download phase.

For the actual download
I might not understand what triggers a retry but I would expect to see 70 430's in the logs,
one for the first try and one for the second. Then I would expect Newsbin to move on.

This is repeatable with the same results so I don't seem to be racing.
mjpierce
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:58 pm

I might not understand what triggers a retry but I would expect to see 70 430's in the logs,
one for the first try and one for the second. Then I would expect Newsbin to move on.

It won't even start retrying till the last file has attempted to download. So, seeing 430 errors doesn't trigger a retry. Understand that I'm talking about sets of combined files here. What happens after the last file in a set is attempted is that Newsbin counts down some seconds and then resets all the failed chunks that had 430 errors and tries to download them again. If you have PAR file, it'll also try to download PAR files. It's somewhat dependent on the presence of PARS. No PAR files, it'll try and when the retries are exceeded, it sends the files to the failed list. If there are PAR files. It tries harder by downloading the PAR files.

In 6.71B4, aggressive mode is really aggressive too so, after the retries expires, it'll assemble what it has of the file and then attempts to repair them.

It sounds to me like you're looking for some "early out" but that's not how it currently works.

430 errors are only fatal if you don't have PARS and have more then 10% failures. Otherwise, Newsbin can typically repair the files. The point of testing is to determine whether you have enough to repair.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mjpierce » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:56 pm

Aggressive mode seems to do what I want. For one file (not a set, no pars) it put the articles together and wrote the file out as best it could.

You talk about sets but what should be happening with just one file (not a set, no par) and Autopar=off (no aggressive mode)?
mjpierce
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:17 pm

You talk about sets but what should be happening with just one file (not a set, no par) and Autopar=off (no aggressive mode)?

I never test with autopar disabled so, you're a bit on your own. I think it acts like there are no pars when it's disabled. Files without pars should never be auto-assembled, they should just fail to the failed list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mjpierce » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:16 pm

Well they don't, at least not in a reasonable amount of time if ever. Newsbin (latest) just just keeps trying to download the missing articles over and over again.

6.56 is the last version that I would argue does things right (we've had this discussion before in another thread).
Do your best to download the file.
Assemble it and make the file name all caps to indicate there was a problem.
Don't fail it and fill up the "chunks" dir.

Quade wrote:I never test with autopar disabled so, you're a bit on your own. I think it acts like there are no pars when it's disabled. Files without pars should never be auto-assembled, they should just fail to the failed list.

It sounds like you are saying that your not going to support turning a Newsbin feature off.
mjpierce
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support