Are there collections of DB3 files (header files) somewhere?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Are there collections of DB3 files (header files) somewhere?

Postby newsbasket » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:54 am

Since the result of the header download action is a set of .db3 files, it seems like the headers could be acquired in other ways, like by sharing RARs of the DB3 files for individual groups. Newsbin users could then put the contents of the RAR files into their spool_v6 folder. Is this method already quite widespread?

For some reason downloading headers in Newsbin from UsenetBucket is very slow and unreliable for me.

Thanks
newsbasket
n00b
n00b

Re: Are there collections of DB3 files (header files) somewh

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:29 am

To answer your question, I'm not aware of anyone who's posting DB3 files for headers. You'd just have to find someone willing to do it for you. I'm not sure you realize how much data you're talking about though. A large group has literally TBytes of headers to download. That's why headers as a thing have become somewhat passe. I use them still but I don't typically download from large groups.

- Newsbin stores headers mostly compressed so, a 30 gig DB3 will will result in a 30 gig RAR you'd have to find someone willing to post that for you.
- Alternatively you could use our search engine.
- You could also use another server for headers and just use your current server for downloads.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby newsbasket » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:00 pm

Is there a service you could recommend just for headers? I guess I only want a day or two of headers (for Watch List purposes), but it seems impossible to get that on UsenetBucket.

Thanks
newsbasket
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:32 pm

Is there a service you could recommend just for headers? I guess I only want a day or two of headers (for Watch List purposes), but it seems impossible to get that on UsenetBucket.

Honestly you don't want to download headers from the group at all. I mean stop trying to download 1100 days worth of headers then.

1 - Set a 2 day "download age".

2 - Set a 100 day "storage age"

3 - Select all the groups, right click "Post Storage/Use Download Age".

4 - Download headers normally. It should pull two days worth. Then on each header download after that, it should only download new headers posted since the last time you downloaded headers.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support