Upgrade to 6.70 using nb670-install.exe fails.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Upgrade to 6.70 using nb670-install.exe fails.

Postby Quah » Mon May 02, 2016 3:09 am

After writing this, I found the beta 10 was available, so I thought I'd get that, but it gave me nb670-full.exe, instead of nb670-install.exe which other links led me to. nb670full installed correctly.

So the rest below is what happens when you use the nb670-install(er) found under the registered users download link.
---------------------------------------------
Tried to upgrade to final, but it gave odd errors.

First it asked what language I wanted twice, then it gave the following two pop-ups.
(I thought I'd saved both errors, but somehow didn't so the first is from memory)
The first was while writing the languagex64old.dll
Something to the effect that it couldn't write, and asked if I already had Newsbin running.
The second error occurred immediately after. "Delete File: C:\Program files\Newsbin\languagex64.dll"
Internet connectivity is required for this installer to download the latest program executables.

I tried running it as administrator, turned off my firewall, re downloaded the 6.70 installer, renamed the program files directory, and even reloaded my computer. None of these steps had any effect.

At this point Newsbin wouldn't run, so I used an older 6.70B8 installer, and it brought Newsbin back without requiring any of the above extra steps.

It seems to be related to the language file, if you need both complete error messages, I can reinstall using the 6.70 installer and get you the shapshots. Unfortunately, I couldn't click the details button, because it happens too fast, and you can't click it once it fails. In the meanwhile, I'm good using the Beta.

Thanks,
Quah
Still using Windows 7
Quah
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/10/09

Re: Upgrade to 6.70 using nb670-install.exe fails.

Postby Quah » Mon May 02, 2016 11:33 am

If I had looked further down the download page, I'd have seen it's called the alternate installer, for times like this. So like, never mind. All is good.
Quah
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/10/09

Re: Upgrade to 6.70 using nb670-install.exe fails.

Postby dexter » Mon May 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Quah wrote:If I had looked further down the download page, I'd have seen it's called the alternate installer, for times like this. So like, never mind. All is good.

Yes, Alternative installer gets around firewall issues. I think your first issue was related to that. Even if you disable the firewall, it remains active until you reboot your machine.

As for getting asked twice for the language, it's an issue with the installer product we're using. I keep hoping they get this fixed in an update but I'm running the latest version of the product and it still happens. Annoying, I know.

Glad you got things figured out.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support