Problem with one of my newsgroups not grabbing older post

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Problem with one of my newsgroups not grabbing older post

Postby eclapwannabe » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:36 am

I had noticed that both of my Usenet Service Providers had increased there Retention Days to 2708 and 2709. I inturned increased my Download Age and Display Age from 2500 days to 2720 Days. In the past what I would have done was to close that group out then re-initiated the group and the older post would repopulate. But nothing changed it still was only showing the earliest date posted as of 11/22/2008. I knew that post was available starting 09/22/2008. So I closed out the whole program and restarted NBP. It still would not pick up the older post. But I noticed that other groups had increased their numbers and were showing dates earlier than 11/22/2008. No matter what I did the group would not display the older dated post. I thought that the database file for that group was corrupted so I deleted all stored post and re downloaded the files. I do not want to do that with all my groups but I felt since this group only had about 54k of headers that I would do that. It worked and I am know receiving the older post.

What I want to know what would have been a better procedure instead of deleting the stored post?
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Problem with one of my newsgroups not grabbing older pos

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:11 pm

. In the past what I would have done was to close that group out then re-initiated the group and the older post would repopulate. But nothing changed it still was only showing the earliest date posted as of 11/22/2008. I knew that post was available starting 09/22/2008.

Typically when retention increases, there's no increase in the number of old posts. If just means the old posts that are already there aren't purged till they get to be as old as the new retention time. What I mean is that an increase in retention doesn't push back the age of the oldest posts. Where are they going to find 7 year old posts?

So they simply might not be there to download. If you "download all headers" on the group and only get N, N might be all there is to get. Do you still see the original retentions worth of headers? I'll pick a group and download all headers and see how far back in time it goes.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby eclapwannabe » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:16 pm

okay how do I get newsbin to display the older post?

I know that the headers are there because they are displayed on xnews.

I must be doing something wrong.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Postby Quade » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:59 pm

"Show all Posts"? It's in the group right click menu. I don't know what you've tried so it's hard to give specific advice.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support