Posts missing one file not downloading pars to correct

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Posts missing one file not downloading pars to correct

Postby sfetchit » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:16 am

Using 6.62B1 right now - will try the 6.62B2 but this issue isn't mentioned in the changes. The problem is with posts where often posts will have different filenames than in the pars and so the par repair would have to rename the files after download to have the correct filenames in combination with one missing file, e.g. the nfo file missing in the post list, which also happens a lot. In that case, newsbin will download the 1st par and all of the other files and then just stop, not downloading another par record so it can re-generate the one small nfo file that was missing from the list. Since the list does not have any other files in it other than the pars that have not been downloaded complete, I would expect newsbin to realize that and go ahead and download the next par block to repair the download immediately. I had upped the retries to 12, but that doesn't seem like it should be the problem since there is nothing there to retry? If I manually trigger the par download, newsbin goes ahead and repairs and completes the post. I think there is some kind of pseudo retries going on in this case as if I leave it sit without forcing a par to download for a long time, it will eventually complete. Thanks in advance for taking a look at this.
sfetchit
n00b
n00b

Re: Posts missing one file not downloading pars to correct

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:25 am

I had upped the retries to 12, but that doesn't seem like it should be the problem since there is nothing there to retry?

How about setting it back to 2 and see if it does the same thing? The servers seem to be recovering so, you might not need a bunch of retries anymore. The retries gate when the next PAR downloads. I'm going to check it out on my end.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

sfetchit

Postby sfetchit » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:33 am

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try that - I'm not sure why there would even be retries in this case as all the files in these posts downloaded complete on the first try, and there was nothing left to download except the remaining pars, only one of which was necessary to complete. Aren't retries meant to be for blocks that haven't completed download yet? Perhaps newsbin is waiting to see if the missing file is in other subsequent posts being downloaded? I noticed this because I was waiting for some particular posts to complete and they weren't, at which point I checked the par and found that it was only missing the nfo file which was not in the post list from newsbin seach - all else was complete and just had to be renamed - I had to then force a par to download for newsbin to complete the post repair/unrar. I haven't used the "aggressive" par mode in the settings - is that meant to address this kind of issue?
sfetchit
n00b
n00b

Re: Posts missing one file not downloading pars to correct

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:22 pm

Retries gate all problems. Usenet being what it is. Sometimes the difference between a good and bad download is simply how hard you try to get it. The retries let you set how "hard" it is.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support