Header Download

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Header Download

Postby benziner » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi,
i use Version 6.6 and Windows 10 .

My Problem : I could not download Headers.
after a fresh install (so only for the initial set Newsgrous) il try to fetch the Headers. Newsbin stated to Download (als in fact everythink will be downloades. But at the end Newsbin told me <newsgoup> Header Download failed: ReadFailure.

I try to in stall it again (several times using several differen Folders/HDDs fror Storage caus initila i thougt its a Problem abiut read/writ Rights) but nothing helps.

If i install Newsbin (with same installation file) on my old PC (also WIN10) it works fine... but want to have it run on my actual System...

Maybe ther ist an problem with tehj Database, something missin or somthing avoid stoareg .. i dont know.

Does anyone knows this "feature" an has a solution ?

Benziner
benziner
n00b
n00b

Re: Header Download

Postby Quade » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:39 pm

1 - My first guess would be security software blocking Newsbin off the internet.

2 - If you start Newsbin and select "Open Data Folder" in the options, what folder does it open up?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby benziner » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:57 pm

Hi right ... i realized later that one system runs Avira (workin one) an the other Kaspersky (the one with the problem).

after several testing (now with Version 6.61 -64bit-) i could figure out the Problem.

Within Kaspersky the Mail Anti Virus Protection forced the Problem (dont ask me why)
Only turning of the mail anti virus protection makes newsbin run (do you have ay idea why ?)
It was equal which level of Mail protection i choose (High , middle, low) only turning of fixed the newsbin Prob.

Benziner
benziner
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:49 pm

Only turning of the mail anti virus protection makes newsbin run (do you have ay idea why ?)

20 years ago, usenet looked like email over the network. With yEnc and compressed headers, it no longer looks like email but virus scanners don't bother to update to the new reality.

It's very common for virus scanners to mess with usenet downloads.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support