Copying Newsbin to other Windows install

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Copying Newsbin to other Windows install

Postby Cybercat » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:07 pm

I've installed Windows 10 on my Windows 8 machine but on another drive so I can dual boot.

Is there a way to copy newsbin so I can use it under Windows 10 without having to redownload all headers first? Either from scratch or by first installing it again and then copying certain files/directories?
Cybercat
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/16/03

Re: Copying Newsbin to other Windows install

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:17 pm

1 - In the existing install, in the options select "Open Data Folder".

2 - This folder is what you need to copy to the new machine. It doesn't have to be on the same folder on the new Machine. C:\NewsbinData\ for example.

3 - Then you need to edit the NBI in the copied folder (on the new machine) to reflect the current data folder on the new machine.

4 - Install Newsbin on the new machine and go through the normal install motions. Just let it do a default install to the default data folder.

5 - Double-click the NBI in the new data folder. That should fire up Newsbin with the old NBI.

6 - Register Newsbin with your key and don't forget to re-start it.

7 - If you're using 6.60 you might have to always start by double-clicking the NBI till 6.61 comes out. 6.60 isn't resetting the NBI path in the registry. You can manually reset the NBI path in the registry if you think it's worth the effort.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support