Download Folder + Maximum Path Limitation

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Download Folder + Maximum Path Limitation

Postby gj8 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi,

I've had a great deal of trouble trying to get the download path set up well, for the longest time. When I use SUBJECT, I've found that I sometimes run up against the 260 path limitation in Windows and Newsbin fails to ever properly extract/autopar/etc. It doesn't tell me that, though, so it's a bit of a hassle to figure out if that's the issue each time a post just mysteriously halts prior to extraction without throwing any errors. I have my download folder set to just "C:\DL", so the base path can't be much shorter.

To try to work around that, I've tried a lot of other things... I tried just setting something up based on date/hour/min so that I'd have a unique folder name that's not overly long, but then it's kind of a pain since I have to go do something else and come back every alternate minute when I want to queue up several things... if there was a $SECOND variable that'd be great. Though... I've noticed that the download path in the latest beta (6.6 b15) seems to constantly shift even after something is queued, so that that one thing will end up downloading with files split across 6-15-15-30, 6-15-15-31, etc (as the minutes go by). It didn't do that on the last version I was on (sorry - don't recall that version).

Also, it seems that $SEARCH is broken in the latest beta.

Could we possibly either get something that limits the maximum auto-generated download folder path to a certain number of characters, or get a $SECOND variable, or even just a $RANDOM variable? Ie, any way to automatically generate a short base folder name that's unique? Or get some kind of error status if the maximum path limitation is ending up too long, so we know to go manually fix it?

Thanks!
gj8
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/12/13

Re: Download Folder + Maximum Path Limitation

Postby Quade » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:02 am

In the latest RC, I've stripped down the subject more so the resulting paths are shorter. I discovered and issue in the search tab that could make them excessively long.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support