ERROR Unable to Update Data record:

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

ERROR Unable to Update Data record:

Postby n4aof » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:42 am

I just upgraded from a prior version to the new 6.56 build 3339

The install indicated that everything worked as it should.

I started newsbin and clicked to Download The Latest Group Updates.

The result is almost no progress on any of the groups it ought to be downloading, but THOUSANDS of entries that all begin "ERROR Unable to Update Data record:" followed by what looks like a subject line from a newsgroup post.

I never had this problem with the older version and the only thing that has changed since I just used NewsBinPro earlier tonight is that I downloaded 6.56 direct from the newsbin download site and let it install itself.

Any ideas what I should be looking for?

Here is a very small sample:

<edited>
Note: My choice of avatar is not related specifically to NBP
n4aof
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Re: ERROR Unable to Update Data record:

Postby Quade » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:34 am

I'd guess one or more groups has become corrupt. I'd pick one bad group. First I'd try compacting it (Post Storage/Compact Database) if that doesn't work, I'd probably purge the group and re-download headers. See if that fixes it.

6.56 is identical to 6.55 except for the SSL changes. The code for storing and accessing the groups is 100% identical.

It does make me wonder if your security software is stepping on the data. I've not seen any real sign of it though.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby n4aof » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:46 pm

Quade wrote:I'd guess one or more groups has become corrupt. I'd pick one bad group. First I'd try compacting it (Post Storage/Compact Database) if that doesn't work, I'd probably purge the group and re-download headers. See if that fixes it.

OK, I'll try that... But WHERE is this "Post Storage/Compact Database" I don't see anything like this under any of the main menu items, and it isn't under Options / Options or any of the other choices under Options. I tried looking FOR the help files, but 6.5 help just says to see 6.0 help and 6.0 help does not appear to be searchable in any way. I tried the page that is supposed to have a detailed explanation of all the menu items, but I couldn't find anything about post storage or compact database.

Quade wrote:6.56 is identical to 6.55 except for the SSL changes. The code for storing and accessing the groups is 100% identical.

I'm not sure exactly what version I was running before, but I doubt it was 6.55 because I don't generally upgrade with every new release.

Quade wrote:It does make me wonder if your security software is stepping on the data. I've not seen any real sign of it though.

Anything might be possible but the security software is Symantec Endpoint Protection which has been running here for a long time with just the regular updates and I don't think I've ever seen this before.

I'm not too worried because NewsBinPro still works despite the error messages -- 6.56 took a longer than expected to download the headers the first time but seems to be ok now - although it still gives hundreds of this particular error.

One other odd thing is the way it counts the log entries. The first few log entries get counted normally, but once the Unable to Update Data record errors start, they arrive in massive batches and the log counter acts weirdly. Right now it says "Logging:(3911)" but if I wait for the next batch of this error to show up the count will change but it may go up or down as entries from earlier in the log disappear. OK, it just logged another bunch of this same error and now the count is "Logging:(3833)"
n4aof
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:54 pm

OK, I'll try that... But WHERE is this "Post Storage/Compact Database" I don't see anything like this under any of the main menu items, and it isn't under Options / Options or any of the other choices under Options. I tried looking FOR the help files, but 6.5 help just says to see 6.0 help and 6.0 help does not appear to be searchable in any way. I tried the page that is supposed to have a detailed explanation of all the menu items, but I couldn't find anything about post storage or compact database.

Right click the group. It's in the right click menu for the groups.

1 - In the options select "Open Data Folder"

2 - Exit Newsbin.

3 - From the newly opened folder, enter the "Import" folder. Then move all the GZ files to some other folder.

4 - Start Newsbin and try to Compact.

The you could move the GZ's back in and see if you still get errors.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby n4aof » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Quade wrote:

Right click the group. It's in the right click menu for the groups.

OK, that much I can do. But regardless of what group I right click on, there is no option "Open Data Folder"

BUT when I right click on a group there IS an option for "Post Storage" which does have an option for Compact Database -- so I am trying that and we will see if it helps.
n4aof
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:40 pm

We're talking 2 different places.

1 - Main options to open the data folder.

2 - Right click the group to compact.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby n4aof » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:27 am

Quade wrote:

We're talking 2 different places.

1 - Main options to open the data folder.

2 - Right click the group to compact.

When I right click on a group in the groups list there is NOT any option to open the data folder, but there is an option for Post Storage which does offer a choice to compact the database (which is what you originally suggested).

What I actually did was that I first did the "Purge to Display Age" THEN "Compact Database" which saved me over 6 GB of space.

This appears to have solved the problem.

n4aof
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:56 am

That's why I said it was in 2 different places. Click the options menu, then the next options menu that shows up then "Open Data Folder". The options menu is where most of the options are set.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby n4aof » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:06 am

Quade wrote:That's why I said it was in 2 different places. Click the options menu, then the next options menu that shows up then "Open Data Folder". The options menu is where most of the options are set.

OK. Now I found the "Open Data Folder" button.

I guess it is good that your first suggestion about compacting the database solved the problem; I would probably still be looking for the GZ files, because they aren't in the data folder (C:\Newsbin), but rather are in the Import subfolder under the data folder (C:\Newsbin\Import).

Thanks for the help.
n4aof
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:06 am

guess it is good that your first suggestion about compacting the database solved the problem; I would probably still be looking for the GZ files, because they aren't in the data folder (C:\Newsbin), but rather are in the Import subfolder under the data folder (C:\Newsbin\Import).

I didn't want you compacting while it was still importing headers. That was the whole point of moving the GZ files, then moving them back. I did mention the "Import" folder in my original instructions.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby n4aof » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:35 pm

Quade wrote:
guess it is good that your first suggestion about compacting the database solved the problem; I would probably still be looking for the GZ files, because they aren't in the data folder (C:\Newsbin), but rather are in the Import subfolder under the data folder (C:\Newsbin\Import).

I didn't want you compacting while it was still importing headers. That was the whole point of moving the GZ files, then moving them back. I did mention the "Import" folder in my original instructions.

Ok, thanks for the help. It is working fine now.
n4aof
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support