Header download speed

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Header download speed

Postby Valmont » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:50 am

Here's another thing that bothers me for some while...
My downloadspeeds rock. It's like 60 to 70 Mbit/sec. But my header downloads are like, 300KB on average per group. is that normal? It has always been like this, ever since I used NB V4. So It doesn't look like Newsbin is messing it up. My computer is uber, so that can't be it too. I wonder...
Anyone?
Valmont
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/14/09

Re: Header download speed

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:58 am

One connection to Astraweb downloading headers from one group = 300+ Mbps. I don't think the limiting factor is Newsbin. I'd suggest signing up with Astra and trying some header downloads. See how fast they go. Astra supports header compression. That's how I can download headers faster than my net connection.

Purely a guess but, I'm guessing that Tweaknews has slow header downloads.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Header download speed

Postby Valmont » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:06 pm

Quade wrote:One connection to Astraweb downloading headers from one group = 300+ Mbps. I don't think the limiting factor is Newsbin. I'd suggest signing up with Astra and trying some header downloads. See how fast they go. Astra supports header compression. That's how I can download headers faster than my net connection.

Purely a guess but, I'm guessing that Tweaknews has slow header downloads.

I have the helpdesk on phone as i type!
Edit: idiots try to connect me with some tech dept, but they hang up instead.

Anyway, I think NB is downloading headers with only 1 thread, wiich caps at 70Mbit/30 *(threads). Hence the slow download of headers.

Edit: Helpdesk says it's Newsbin which caps to use header downloads to 1 connection per group... So I'm nicely stuck in the middle here. I'm going to find me a test account on a different provider in here in the Netherlands.

Edit: Obviously they were full of it as it works on your connection. So I have a single month account at ExtremeUsenet now. I't downloads each header with... 20 Mbit/sec!
Guess who's going to lose a customer. Now we need to solve that post update thing in the other thread.
Valmont
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/14/09

Return to V6 Technical Support