Under what conditions are chunks deleted?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Under what conditions are chunks deleted?

Postby asmbubba » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:34 am

Hi, I recently signed up for the free trial and I noticed that chunks are being deleted and I don't know why.

I have a nzb that I downloaded. Every file had some missing articles and so all the files were in an unassembled state in the chunks folder. I was planning on completing the downloading later using another server to fill missing articles. In the meantime, I didn't want newsbin to keep retrying the download so I paused the whole set. I then started downloading other nzb's.

I just noticed from looking at the chunks folder that I didn't see any of the chunks from that incomplete download. I went into newsbin and unpaused the incomplete set and sure enough it reset to zero percent complete because somehow all the chunks got deleted.

I have max retries set to 99 and storage age set to 5000. Using newsbin 6.54 build 3326. Newsbin has been running continuously since downloading that first incomplete nzb. Hard drive space is not an issue.. ~500 gb free at the moment.
asmbubba
n00b
n00b

Re: Under what conditions are chunks deleted?

Postby Quade » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:16 pm

I have max retries set to 99 and storage age set to 5000. Using newsbin 6.54 build 3326. Newsbin has been running continuously since downloading that first incomplete nzb. Hard drive space is not an issue.. ~500 gb free at the moment.

Retries of 99 mean it'll never assemble and repair an incomplete file. I mean never. If that's what you want, you want the assembly and repair of incomplete files to be under manual control then that's fine but, that's what you've done with this setting. Storage age only applies to headers. Has nothing to do with the chunks.

By default, the chunks are held for 48 hours and then purged.

[SETTINGS]
PurgeDays = X

You can increase this time with this setting. It's days.

Files that complete normally and purge aren't impacted by this setting. It's just chunks from incomplete files that get pushed out of memory by subsequent files that end up getting purged.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby asmbubba » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:25 pm

Quade wrote:[SETTINGS]
PurgeDays = X

Thank you for the quick answer! This setting doesn't currently exist in my .nbi file so I will create it. I have noticed however that my chunks are being deleted if they are over 24 hours old, so looks like that is the default. Oldest file in my chunks folder: [11/30/2014 9:15] Newest file: [12/1/2014 9:24]
asmbubba
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Could be. I was looking at the 6.60 code. Not 6.54. This setting applies to the whole data folder. "Read Posts","Chunks","Nzbs","Samples" and the "Temp" folder.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support