I've added custom sizes, but what about custom filter ages?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

I've added custom sizes, but what about custom filter ages?

Postby UPdown » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi all,

One thing always leads to another. I was struggling remembering exactly how to add file sizes to the MaxSize box and just could NOT track it down in the Message of the Day Archive. I finally just resorted to searching through through the forum and happened on a thread from June that did, indeed, give me an example and indicated that capability was included with version 6.51. Soooo, I set out to find the change log / update notes from that release and came up empty. I KNOW it's there. But could you help a fella out and point me in the right direction? [G]. Just knowing where those things are noted in totality would help me ... cuz I can remember to bookmark THIS time. [G]

And since I found out (and executed quite happily) about adding sizes to the drop down sizes list, it occured to me that it would be nice to have something better than 20 days as the bigger end of the range in the Age Filter in the Filter Options dialog. As it turns out, I'd like 43 days, an oddball size that is of no use to anybody else on this planet and I don't blame you for not including it originall. Honest, I don't. Really, well, almost sort of. Okay, you should have read my mind and made 43 days one of the choices.

Just kidding. Maybe [G]. But I WOULD like the ability to add to that age filter in the same way I did the sizes and I betcha that you already added the capability. But since I am SOOOOO happy with the way NewsBin is working these days, I thought I'd get the official way rather than go mucking through the NBI file and find out mucking wasn't the result I wanted. If you know what I mean. So, once again, can you light the way?

Appreciate your work. UpDown

PS: Oh and if you are looking to waste some of that time you otherwise waste on eating and sleeping, wouldn't it be neat to have a utility that went through a bunch of selected headers, did the equivalent of a ctrl-r and then provided a concordance of the file names along with the last X lines of the resulting text body, with X being configurable. X should default to 2. At least it would based on my experimenting with it this afternoon. A quite delightful add to NewsBin that I missed in my willfull blissful ignorance of the day to day changes in the software. You'd save me several clicks at the mere cost of your sanity. But we all have burdens to bear. [G] THANKS, UpDown
UPdown
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/27/12

Re: I've added custom sizes, but what about custom filter ag

Postby Quade » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:17 am

[AGE]
113 days
2 years
9 months

Should work.

I've thought about a mode to make it probe the entire obscure group. Still thinking about it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby UPdown » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:37 am

Quade wrote:[AGE]
113 days
2 years
9 months

Should work.

I've thought about a mode to make it probe the entire obscure group. Still thinking about it.

Oops. Nope. Also no for [AGE FILTER]. Edited with Notepad ++ in case there are EOL marker thingamajigs.

Still looking for the URL for the changelog.

Thanks, UpDown
UPdown
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/27/12

Postby Quade » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:41 am

[AGE]
20 days
45 days

Exited Newsbin, added this to my NBI file, started Newsbin. They now appear on the search and post list drop downs. They don't show up in the filter drop downs but, that's not because of the NBI. You've been able to type specific ages into the filters for awhile now.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support