Newsbin failing to start showing "Newsbin 50" popup

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin failing to start showing "Newsbin 50" popup

Postby Quade » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:38 pm

10/10/2014

Getting multiple reports of people's Newsbin just spontaneously not working with this popup message. What we believe is happening is that a new virus definition has come out and falsely tagged "Language.dll" and maybe "Language64.dll" as viral, thus moving them, out of the newsbin install folder. Newsbin won't run without these files.

Dexter has run 40 some odd virus scanners against the file and had only on false positive from ClamAV which claimed it found "PUA.Win32.Packer.BorlandDelphi-1". Newsbin doesn't use Delphi.

If you're having this problem. You need to get the language.dll and get it back into the Newsbin install folder. I'm not sure how to tell a V scanner to leave these files alone.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: Newsbin failing to start showing "Newsbin 50" popup

Postby Quade » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:18 pm

But you are absolutely right...

I just checked the Avast Virus Vault and Avast has quarantained the Languanuage.dll file yesterday.

From a user today
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby tl » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:09 pm

Quade wrote:Getting multiple reports of people's Newsbin just spontaneously not working with this popup message. What we believe is happening is that a new virus definition has come out and falsely tagged "Language.dll" and maybe "Language64.dll" as viral, thus moving them, out of the newsbin install folder.

FYI, I just scanned the 3314 (6.54B1) "languagex64.dll" on both major online test sites and it came up clean on everything so either the false positive was only the 32-bit version or they've fixed it.

I see that currently VirusTotal have Avast definition files from 11 Oct while Jotti have Avast defintion files from 10 October so one or the other "ought to" replicate the Avast failure that you got reported later if you tried it on the 32-bit file. Unless of course it's one of the dreaded "the program did something the AV think is suspicious" Heuristic which can only trigger while the program is running, they're absolutely horrible in every single way.

There's considerable overlap between the two sites, but each have some unique AVs and with slightly different bugs and usually slightly different definition update schedules they offer really good coverage when combined (do try "rescan" if they offer an old scan).

Quade may well already have one or both in his toolkit, but it's a good resource to know about for everyone.

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en
https://www.virustotal.com/
tl
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:49 am

Dex does that stuff. I don't even have a V scanner installed on this machine. I'll point him at this topic.

Thanks.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby gpcelina1965 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:43 am

If you use a decent V-scanner/anti-malware/anti-rootkit like I do, I can simply whitelist the file and it is ignored.
Not much but I hope it helps.
gpcelina1965
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support