Headers download but...

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Headers download but...

Postby Marmalade » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:57 pm

I download the latest headers but nothing displays. I'm a long term user and only started to get this problem when I updated in August.

I've been through checking my settings but nothing appears to help. I've also done a full uninstall and reinstall. I'm probably missing something basic but help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Marmalade
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/30/03

Re: Headers download but...

Postby Quade » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:19 pm

Look down at the status bar where it says "cache". See if you see a number in parens "(XX)". Is so, in the options select "Open data folder". Then close Newsbin, go into the "Import" folder and delete all the GZ files there.

Then download headers normally and see what happens. If it's just a specific group. You might want to purge header for that group and download headers again. Right Click/Post Storage/Delete Stored Posts
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby patrick_visniewski » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:43 am

I assumed the import dir was some place to used as temp stash for downloaded headers as a fix for some of the more serious problems with header downloads getting repeatedly interrupted.
But if you're saying delete those files then what is the point of them in the first place?

Based of the name, it would seem that NB is supposed to import headers from those files...
How do we give NB a boot to the head and get it importing that data again?
patrick_visniewski
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:33 am

If Newsbin is stuck because of a corrupt GZ file, you'll need to clear the deck. With Newsbin running, you could probably tell which GZ file it is by moving them all out of the import folder, the one that won't move is the stuck one. Then you could exit Newsbin and just delete that one.

If you delete GZ files, you'll lose headers but, if something is stuck, you don't have much choice.

I assumed the import dir was some place to used as temp stash for downloaded headers as a fix for some of the more serious problems with header downloads getting repeatedly interrupted.
But if you're saying delete those files then what is the point of them in the first place?

No. GZ files are used because with headers compression, you can download headers at 600 Mbps which is too fast to feed them into the database in real time. Instead they queue and are fed into the database in turn. You only delete them if they're bad.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Marmalade » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:38 am

Just to let you know that this has resolved my issue; thanks!
Marmalade
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/30/03

Return to V6 Technical Support