Both NewsBin and Search ignore subs

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Both NewsBin and Search ignore subs

Postby RayMark » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:13 am

Sorry if this topic was already covered, trying to search for "search" results in "search" being ignored as too common word ...

Anyway, it is probably a problem with the search server rather than with the NewsBin client - subtitles in rars are not returned by search. However, their subs.sfv, subs.par2 files are returned, just subs.rar is not returned.
I noticed it multiple times. The subs.rar file is present and if headers are downloaded or if the nzb file was posted, then subtitles can be downloaded. But not from the search results directly.
Thank you for the hint by including subs.par2, though :)

I think there is a bug in NewsBin as well, a related bug may be on the server side of the search engine. Perhaps I should post a separate bug report for NewsBin?
OK, I changed the subject of this post to include both NewsBin and Search.

So here what happens when I am trying to download the problem causing subtitles from nzb file:

I see a collapsed line, with + sign: ...subs-something.rar
If I expand it, inside are two files: exactly (?) the same as the outer rar file and also a .sfv file:
....subs-something.rar
...subs-something.sfv

So, if I download the outer file (with both inside) - for some reason only the sfv file is downloaded, but the rar file is not - but the whole thing is removed from the download list as if successfully downloaded. The autopar is ON.
If I expand it in the nzb tab and download the inner rar file, then it is downloaded successfully and I get my subtitles.

So it seems to be a problem in NewsBin with this specific way of posting subtitles but perhaps a similar problem also in the Search server causing it also to ignore the inner rar file.
The search results DO NOT include the subs-something.rar (inner or outer) file at all, it is not just that the rar is not downloaded.
But the inner subs-something.sfv file is included into the search results!
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Re: Both NewsBin and Search ignore subs

Postby Quade » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:34 am

PM me an example of the embedded subs that don't download.

I was under the impression that subs files were embedded in the rar set itself most of the time. If that's not the case I might need to look into it.

PM me a group as well where you normally find subs that are stand alone.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RayMark » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Quade wrote:PM me an example of the embedded subs that don't download.

I was under the impression that subs files were embedded in the rar set itself most of the time. If that's not the case I might need to look into it.

PM me a group as well where you normally find subs that are stand alone.

I hope you got my PM (12?) days ago.
I ran into the same problem several more times. The last two times - today.
It is very annoying because it requires quite a lot of additional manual work to retrieve those subs. And what if sfv for subs are not posted? In such cases perhaps I miss completely the very fact that the subs are available.
At least the search engine at your end could be fixed. That does not require a new NewsBin release, I think. I hope the required information was not permanently discarded from the DB the search engine uses.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:42 pm

Dex and I've been discussing it. We think it's going to take changes to the thing that feeds the database.

Dex was trying to see if he could do it with the existing software but, it looks like the answer is no.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby RayMark » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:52 pm

So the input to the database is already filtered and all the 2008-2014 stuff will never have subs, only the new stuff after changing the software?
I hope not.

There is also another issue, not related to the search engine - if a nzb file contains such subs they are also not downloaded
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:21 pm

There is also another issue, not related to the search engine - if a nzb file contains such subs they are also not downloaded

You can force it to download. Ctrl-Y.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby RayMark » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:33 am

Quade wrote:

You can force it to download. Ctrl-Y.

Yes, that is true. Also, selecting from nzb only subs.rar file downloads it without forcing.

Now I came across the missing subs problem again, but this time, one episode for some reason has subs in search results while others - do not.
At a glance, they seem to be posted identically. They look the same in the search results except that one missing (or present) subs.rar file. Also the posted nzbs look the same.
Strange.
I think I will PM you the specifics, just in case.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support