Seeing groups post

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Seeing groups post

Postby eclapwannabe » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:00 pm

1.I know the post are there because when I go to spool_vv6 it show storage.db3 and Storedata.db3.
But I am having trouble seeing the post when I choose that newsgroup. I choose show all post and NBP
went nuts. Aero spinning and windows telling me it is not responding.

2. Can I run NBP from another HD?
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Seeing groups post

Postby Quade » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:14 pm

What group is it?

How big are the DB3's?

How fast is your computer?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby eclapwannabe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:18 am

My computer is an HP Pavilion g7 1260us with a an Intel Core i3-2330M CPU 2.20ghz with 4gb ram
and 576 gb internal hard drive running Window 7-64bit Home Premium service pack 1

I am monitoring about 50 groups. Do I need to cut back?
DownloadedMarker.db3= 78k
Groups.db3 =13k
HeaderTracking.db3= 1.7K
Signature.db3 file= 63k

Total Size of all groups are 7.83gb

my most popular groups have on the average
Storage.db3 330kb
Storage.db3 281kb

I have notice with adding additional days that NBP was slowing Downs. As Long as I keep to download age and display age to around 860 days NBP worked like a champ. I have tried to stay away from the
big groups 100m+ because I thought that would really bog the system down. I know I go about this differently than everyone else Just as soon as I get another part time job I can afford the monthly search charge. What I like to do is to go back to the beginning of the group and see if I missed something. If I did than I down load the post. In some ways X-news is better be cause it only allows you
to download 200-300k of headers at a time.

I am thinking about reducing monitored groups to about 20.

Some groups like 60's music I only download the headers/post when I need them than I delete the group
that way the headers are not being stored on my cpu.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:45 am

my most popular groups have on the average
Storage.db3 330kb
Storage.db3 281kb

This is basically empty.

When you start Newsbin look down at the "Cache" line and tell me if you have a number in parens (XXX) and what that number is. Watch it and see if it counts down.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby eclapwannabe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:00 am

Okay Quade:

Cached is 200/200(16)

I just opened a Newsgroup the Cached number went down to 190 then changed back to 200/200.
The number in the Parentheses never changed stayed at 16.

BTW I have another thread that is showing my frustration with the program. When it works it is great.
When it doesn't my grey hair is turning greyer and I do not want to lose my beautiful hair. But at wit's end around now.
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:52 am

The number 16 is the number of blocks of headers waiting to import. Until that hits zero, you won't have a current map of headers.

You might want to use the "Open Data Folder" button, enter the "Import" folder, then delete all the GZ files there. Then download headers again. Maybe one of the GZ's is stuck.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby eclapwannabe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:46 pm

I am curious what are GZ files?

I went into the import file and deleted the 'GZ' files. I went to download all headers and my problem child groups went to my desired dates but it caused my system to bog down. NBP became unresponsive and when I went to Start Task Manager to stop the newsbinpro.exe process I noticed that physical memory for NBP was using over 1.5gb.

When I changed my display age to 1100 days both programs worked like a champ. I just went to Task Manager and noticed just 27k of memory usage with the two groups that I am looking at right now.

I think I understand how the program works. When a newsgroup is chosen the first time NBP retrieves all the post chosen
that agree to my cutoff days. This becomes Storage or Storage.db3. The display age only shows the post that are in a certain age range ex 1100 days old to 0 days old. I was confusing D/Led post with Displayed Post. New post headers that are on the news server are the only 'new' headers that will be added to the Storage.db3 file folder. A case of bad transfer logic.
X-news requires you to retrieve the headers ever time you start the program.

The key to making the program work is managing and working with the display aged post. I do not need nor will NBP work properly if all stored post are displayed fully from every group I monitor. Most people could care less about older post. They want mostly the latest tv shows, music and dvd files. So for them headers are not a probl21em. If you know what you are looking for then NZB files eliminate the need to download headers. I run in the third category. I like looking at headers. I do d/l music files but most of the music I listern and download is around 30-40 years old. I do not have a video collection. So DMCA is not a concern for me.

So what I need NBP to do for me is let me access the oldest files to the next oldest files in managable chunks. say around a 1000 days at a time. So with my storage age starting at 2200 daysd then I would like for it to show me up to 1100 days old
So from Aug 2008 to Aug 21, 2011. It doesn't have to be that extreme but in managable chunks.

I hope that you understand what I am trying to accomplish.

ECWB
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:59 pm

The key to making the program work is managing and working with the display aged post. I do not need nor will NBP work properly if all stored post are displayed fully from every group I monitor.

Let be clear that this doesn't work for you but, does work with people who have more robust machines. The benefit of 64 bit windows and 64 bit Newsbin is there is no upper limit to how many headers or groups you can load. In 32 bit windows, 1.5 gigs worth is pretty close to the limit.

So what I need NBP to do for me is let me access the oldest files to the next oldest files in managable chunks. say around a 1000 days at a time. So with my storage age starting at 2200 daysd then I would like for it to show me up to 1100 days old
So from Aug 2008 to Aug 21, 2011. It doesn't have to be that extreme but in managable chunks.

You can load 2000 day old posts and only load say 6 month of it using "Load Special". In that way you can look at any date range headers and not overwhelm your PC by loading the groups in segments. Say, 6 month time windows.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby eclapwannabe » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:35 am

Thank you It works and no bogged down system.

I am curious I have 64 windows home premium and I have been downloading the 64bit version of Newsbin Pro. How do I take advantage of the benefits of both 64 bit programs? Will I need to increase my system memory to 8 gigs?

Thank you once again for your patience.

ECWB
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support