Lockout Poster Causes Pseudo Crash, but not really.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Lockout Poster Causes Pseudo Crash, but not really.

Postby jeffpurser » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 am

First, I am using Newsbin 6.53 Build 3311 on an HP Desktop with 8GB ram, AMD Phenom Quad Core 840T processor at 2.90 GHz. My OS Is Windows 7 Home Premium.

In the past I've never had any difficulty selecting multiple entries and adding the posters to the list of ones I wanted locked out.

I would select multiple entries and then right click and select Lockout Poster. Newsbin would do the task and take me to the top of the list.

Starting with a few of the release candidates a few weeks ago, whenever I would do that, Newsbin would appear to go off into neverneverland and I would have to use Task Manager to terminate the program.

I assumed it was locked up and no longer functioning at all. (Today I discovered that was not the case.)

As long as I only selected a single entry, the Lockout Poster function would work perfectly.

Today I was in a.b.teevee and queued up 7 files to be downloaded. Everything was fine until I selected a couple of posts and tried to lock out the posters.

Nothing appeared to be happening until I moved my cursor on the screen and everything went opaque and I got the message that Newsbin was "Not Responding."

Oddly, I noticed BitMeter was showing downloads were continuing at full speed. When I checked the download directory for a.b.teevee, the rar files were coming in perfectly.

Task Manager showed Newsbin using a tiny fraction of processor time (1%-3%) on the Processor tab, but under the Applications tab it showed it was Not Responding.

Over the next 20-30 minutes, Newsbin downloaded, checked the files and unrared everything perfectly, but my main program screen remained unchanged. I was totally locked out.

After all the downloads were complete, I had to resort to using Task Manager to terminate the program.

So, that's my report. It's not a big deal. I know how to avoid it if I don't try to lockout multiple posters at the same time.

And since I have not seen anyone else discussing this, perhaps it's a problem with my system.

I've been with y'all since the beginning and really appreciate the support you provide.

Aloha & Mahalo from the Big Island.
jeffpurser
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Lockout Poster Causes Pseudo Crash, but not really.

Postby Quade » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:09 am

Thanks. I'll try to reproduce it.

What you're describing is a "hang" where the GUI hangs but, the rest of the program keeps running.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby jeffpurser » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Thanks Quade.

I've just managed to reproduce it consistently.

I Start Newsbin and load 3 months of headers for a.b.british.drama

This group has hundreds of those alphabet soup file names/poster names.

If I select them one at a time and Lockout Poster, it works fine.

If I select two or more different posters and attempt to lock them out, it hangs the gui.

So, like the patient who complains to the doctor that it hurts every time he does a certain thing and is told, "Don't do that!" I won't do it.

And since no one else seems to be having this difficulty I must assume it is not a serious problem.

(Even though the forum software says I'm a n00b, I've actually been a registered user since the late 1990s, and really appreciate your support.)
jeffpurser
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby stsin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:53 am

Is there a fix for this problem?

I've found that the lockup (even if the program is behaving fine in the background, if you can't effect the gui you can't use the program) still exists in the final version of 6.53 even if you select *3* posts and hit control-p to block the poster (say a.b.mm the last 24 hrs, any of the 120 odd meg XXX spams....) Considering that daily there are something like 4k spam posts, it's a little annoying to have to select them one by one to lockout (even if each "user" posts more than 1 file.)

In the short term I have a xxx filter set up for ABMM use, but really we should be able to select any reasonable number of posts and say block this idiot please.

Thanks (I've also been around awhile, love the software, and know ways around this, but will still like it fixed if it's possible without you having to redo the entire gui.... even though the gui does seem to be more than a bit buggy Image link not allowed for unregistered users )
stsin
n00b
n00b

Postby lordkinbote » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:53 am

This exact thing happens to me also, with the latest build (v6.55 b3334)
lordkinbote
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/05

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:27 pm

How big is the "PosterLockout.txt" file in the data folder? I'm wondering if you guys are simply running into the practical upper limits of poster lockouts? Once you get over a couple hundred posters, I expect performance to get crappy.

Every time you add a new poster, Newsbin has to regenerate the regular expression is uses for filtering. As the number of posters increase, so does the time needed for this to happen.

I was doing some testing in 6.60 (which is pretty much the same a 6.55). Loaded off of a GOG. Ended up with 850K lines in the list. I was able to lock out 1000's of lines at a time. The calculation of redraw were relatively slow but, never stalled. 850K posts takes awhile to filter even on my machine.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support