Newsbin used in dualboot system

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin used in dualboot system

Postby Stefan1971HH » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:59 am

Hello,

I'm planning to build a dualboot system with Windows 7 and 8.1 (both 64 bit). I'd like
to install Newsbin in both using the same data- and download folder. Will this run into problems?
-thanks
Last edited by Stefan1971HH on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stefan1971HH
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Newbin used in dualboot system

Postby Ribble » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:47 am

Also running dualboot, WinXP and Win7. Things got confused, even though NewsBin was started from the same harddrive. Or so I thought. "Newsbin.nbi" in my directory "NewsbinData" was where I was trying to open NewsBin, but I think I messsed things up because I was saving NewsBin configuration under various name like "Newsbin650-3082.nbi".

Win7 operating system failed and I was more concerned about fixing that using the WinXP bootup and didn't notice that NewsBin was different from what I had been running in Win7. Then I reloaded Win7 and messed things up even more. Just saying that it is best to ask how to set up NewsBin on a dualboot system before you have to do it.
Ribble
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/04/09

Re: Newbin used in dualboot system

Postby itimpi » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:56 am

there should be no inherent problems with running the same version of Newsbin in a dual-boot system! I have done it in the past.

Points to note are:
  • You will need to go through the registration process under both boot options.
  • You will need to ensure that any drive letters used by Newsbin are the same under each boot option so that the configuration file can be shared between boots.
  • You should put the configuration file in a known location and start Newsbin by double-clicking the configuration file. This is because the location of the last used configuration file is stored in the registry. An alternative is to amend the shortcut for starting Newsbin and provide the path of the configuration file as a parameter.
  • (Not sure about this) I think you may have to change the screen layout under both boots. This is stored in the Guiitems.db3 file that is stored under the logged in users profile.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Re: Newsbin used in dualboot system

Postby Ribble » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:50 am

"You will need to ensure that any drive letters used by Newsbin are the same under each boot option so that the configuration file can be shared between boots"

To change drive letters in Win7

Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management
Right click the drive under Volume
Change Drive Letter and Paths...

Best to do a clean boot for the system you want to change, then change drive letters, then reboot again. This will allow Newsbin to see the same drive letters on both systems, but will also require changing shortcuts etc for other programs that look for the drive's old letter.

To swap drive letters between two drives, change one to an unused letter first.

Newsbin > File > Save Configuration As - - - to find where the Newsbin Configuration file is located. Then start Newsbin (in either system) by double clicking Newsbin.nbi or making shortcuts in both systems.
Ribble
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/04/09

Re: Newsbin used in dualboot system

Postby Quade » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:33 am

I always make my work drive the "Z:" drive and my download drive the "X:" drive. If you maintain some sort of standard that way, you can switch Newsbin around and the NBI will just work.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support