Memory Leak?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Memory Leak?

Postby haileris » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi

Convinced there is a memory leak in the latest newsbin beta versions. I could be wrong though :) Over time I get a number of worker process died errors. My memory footprint goes from something like 800MB to 11GB - at that point newsbin has stopped downloading. I have to keep restarting newsbin daily to start to minimize this issue. Any clues? :) I don't get this if I regress to the release version. I can post some task manager screenshots if you want them.

Cheers
haileris
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/06/15

Re: Memory Leak?

Postby boehlahz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:18 am

I am also suspecting Newsbin for not releasing RAM after I close the program.
Case in point: I just started Newsbin now. My RAM use was @ 30% which is fine. Then after use and closing down the program my RAM use is now @ 52%!!
It will not release the RAM so this is very worrying. I have had days where even after closing newsbin and with no other programs open my RAM use was @ approx. 70% which is pure madness. Only solution so far is to reboot the PC but when I start using then closing newsbin again sure enough the RAM is not released.
I have set Newsbin to unpack content and I'm wondering if the unpacker is built in or if it uses my separated installation of WinRAR? Could it be this unpacking feature that is not releasing RAM? I have no clue. Please someone help.

Briefly about my setup:
Win7 x64 - i7 965 Extreme - 6GB RAM - "SSD only" setup so no pagefile or superfetch activated.
Newsbin Pro 6.52 build 3289

I started noticing this behavior maybe 2 weeks ago but I'm not quite sure of the precise date.
I have also experienced several BSODs on account of this memory leak since the PC is choking from lack of available resources and If I don't reboot in time it will eventually end up with a BSOD.

I can't say for sure that Newsbin is the cause but like I mentioned it is weird that after use the RAM is not flushed/released.
boehlahz
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:10 am

I am also suspecting Newsbin for not releasing RAM after I close the program.

It's impossible for a program to hold onto ram after it's exited. If Newsbin isn't in task manager anymore, it can't hold onto any RAM.

I have also experienced several BSODs on account of this memory leak since the PC is choking from lack of available resources and If I don't reboot in time it will eventually end up with a BSOD.

Which is another sign it's not Newsbin related.

Here's what I suggest to trouble-shoot this. Remove any virus scanners and any non-microsoft firewalls (Norton, Avast, Malwarebytes...). Reboot. Run Newbin normally, download but don't view anything. See what happens to your ram usage. The fact you have to reboot tells you the problem is in a kernel driver. Newsbin doesn't use them but, security software does.

I'm not just guessing either. This specific scenario has come up numerous times. You might find that your performance is much better too.

If this solves your problem, I'd consider different security software.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby boehlahz » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:30 am

Thanks a lot for the advice Quade.

I have just uninstalled Malwarebytes and rebooted the PC and will now use Newsbin then close it and see what's what with the RAM usage ...
boehlahz
n00b
n00b

Postby boehlahz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:38 am

Hello again.

I have a little update. I am running the latest Avast but have not yet dared to remove it since I'm worried I will be laid flat by viruses and what have you.
I have however found out that if i download only via my browser there is no significant rise in RAM use but once I start using Newsbin the RAM slowly rises and keeps rising until I close the program and there is maybe a 2-3% drop in RAM use but maybe 15-25% percent sometimes more is still being held and not released depending on how big the download was. I have set Avast mail filter to NOT scan newsgroup traffic but if Avast really is the culprit does anyone have an idea of settings that don't interfere with Newsbin usage?
If I remove Avast what other AV scanner can you recommend? I was looking at Bitdefender and I'm not too crazy about MSE since it still gets a low rating. Thank you
boehlahz
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:58 am

If I remove Avast what other AV scanner can you recommend? I was looking at Bitdefender and I'm not too crazy about MSE since it still gets a low rating. Thank you

I don't actually run one. I use MSE on one machine and nothing on another. Nothing but, good computer hygiene. You're not going to get infected just from downloading. You could download 1000 viruses and as long as you don't run them, you won't get infected. Lots of people seem to like Malwarebytes and I haven't caught it causing issues recently.

I'm just suggesting a download test at this point.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby boehlahz » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:27 am

Okay so the latest is that removed Avast all together but did not want to leave my system without protection, even though I am very cautious when on the internet, I installed Malwarebytes (again). I did the DL test of a rather big file. It seems like my problem is gone so from my point of view it must have been Avast that somehow was holding my RAM hostage so to speak. Again thanks for the advice Quade Image link not allowed for unregistered users
boehlahz
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:44 am

Avast causes all sorts of problems. I'd say they're #1 for causing download problems with Norton being #2.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support