truncated unrar, is there write/crc verification?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

truncated unrar, is there write/crc verification?

Postby tymes » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:45 am

So with the last final which I had not installed since a beta at Christmas, I've had problems with truncated files.

If the drive was going to fill, rather that some disk full error I'd get somehow have the last section of unrar'd files missing...

With the final, it is now happened consistently (woops, I should delete shtuff and empty my drive) but I've just installed 652b3 so I hope that is fixed and now gone.

But to have it extracted and the unrar'd stuff short, means there is no CRC verification or write verification (perhaps for speed? I hope for no reasons, but it has been going on for over a couple months).

This was a bad new "beta" feature that was added after I upgraded after several months because this was ok for a long time previously. I'd like an option to skip recycling if disk is full (perhaps after a popup warning). Or also to delete rar files as they were successfully extracted (and after the set was verified) so I can extract a 200MB rar set in 300MB of space without ending up with a file truncated at 100MB.
my pair of six shooters beats your royal flush and his four aces. `™
tymes
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/04/12

Re: truncated unrar, is there write/crc verification?

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:20 am

6.52B3 (I think, maybe B2 as well) solves the unrar problem. The rar library wasn't telling me when it ran out of disk space. Now it does.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby PBM90 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:03 pm

I have found that this issue still occurs in version 6.53 B3311.

During the unrar process, a popup message appeared with notification that there was insufficient disk space. While I was looking for unrelated files to clean up and make more space, the unrar process completed, the partial output file was saved, all rars/pars were deleted and the warning message disappeared.

The frustrating part is that if you are not actively watching the screen, everything would appear normal and that the download and extract was complete/successful. That is, until you try to open the output file and jump to the latter part of the media file and find that it is incomplete.

Note: I find that the download process is handled well in that a similar warning message is displayed and NB obediently waits for input or for sufficient space to be freed up before taking any further action. I would expect the same to happen during the extract process.
PBM90
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:44 pm

I tested this recently against USB memory stick and has no issues. It failed the unrar and kept the files. I suspect there might be some issue where you continue to download at the same time the unrar is happening so, the math fails (meaning it had enough space but, then the download consumed space that the unrar expected to have. In the next version, the download will lockout during the unrar automatically (it'll consume cache instead) so, this might just go away.

The real solution is to never run out of disk space. Might consider downloading to one disk and unraring to another one.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support