add to download list don't work

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

add to download list don't work

Postby buggs1a » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:18 am

I do a search and search is working fine. Some stuff won't add to list. I'll right click and add to download list, even try bypass filters. The stuff doesn't get added and there's no error or anything. Nothing happens. The stuff is well under server retention period and has worked before just fine on other computers I've tried.
buggs1a
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/13/03

Re: add to download list don't work

Postby Quade » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:43 am

How about hitting the pause button to stop downloads. When they stop, then try adding to the download list. I'm wondering if the connection to search is timing out.

I might need to increase the timeout.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby buggs1a » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks. I will try that again. I will report back.

Edit:
Didn't work. Still nothing happens.

I've paused my downloads though until I can figure out how to get nb to save into folders according to filename or subject of post or whatever. Right now it just plops all files into one folder so it's very messy.
buggs1a
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby dexter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:33 pm

The folder mode settings changed, they are all under Options/Setup and use path variables. For example to get it to download into folders named after the newsgroup, you would use c:\downloads\$(GROUP)

It is documented here: http://help.newsbin.com/index.php/V640_Pathing
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buggs1a » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks.
Ill post back in here soon as my host Mac unison app is done downloading.
buggs1a
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby itimpi » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:26 am

buggs1a wrote:Thanks.
Ill post back in here soon as my host Mac unison app is done downloading.

It is worth pointing out that changing the download path settings only applies to new items you queue - not to those already queued which have already had their path assigned.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby buggs1a » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:56 am

Yep. That's why I removed everything from download list. But with nb being so slow in my virtual XP I stopped using it for me. My host is a late 2013 iMac and I'm getting 2200kbyte/sec in unison. So when the current download is done ill try to post a thread here on the speed issue in nb.
buggs1a
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:26 am

Even my Android phone can download at 50 Mbps with Newsbin (well Newsbin for android). I'm skeptical that the problem is Newsbin. More likely it's a combination of XP running inside a virtual machine on a Mac that's the problem. The only real question is whether it's a disk based bottleneck or network IO. Wonder if a more modern version of Windows would work better? Wonder if better drivers in the VM for the virtual hardware would speed it up?

How many cores are you letting the VM have?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby buggs1a » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks Quade, I don't think it's newsbin either, but something is weird.
The VM is xp sp3 and yes i know this is low, but not make it slower as sometimes it does go fast, 4gb ram for the vm.
wait a sec, could the slow be from the drive not being statically 100gb? Newsbin is set to download to my shared folder tho on the mac side. But the vm drive is expandable to 100gb. Dynamic or whatever it's called.
Just checked vm settings and it was set for 1 cpu. I changed it to two since my mac has 4 that should be ok. My mac has 8gb ram so I gave the vm 4gb. I know more ram helps a lot, :) But right now I'm just learning and testing.
I'm going to start up the vm and test it now that I made a change. I'll post back in a bit.
Since my mac has no dvdrw drive I can't test a newer windows as I have the xp as an iso image.

Edit:
Ok. In Newsbin Options/Performance menu. This might be the issue, maybe not. I don't know honestly. I don't know what to set it for. I would think the default would be just fine. Which has the Write download files with no memory buffing checked and everything else unchecked. That's what it set the first time you open newsbin and look in there. However clicking default removes that and all options are not checked. Hmm. So I just now clicked high performance pc. Speed is better in download speed, but it's only been going a few minutes.

The Mac is a Quad Core 2.7ghz i5 cpu. 8GB total ram. I have the VM 4096mb ram and as noted above changed it to two cpu cores. When I open properties in xp my computer icon on desktop and see the stats for the computer cpu it shows 2.7ghz then below that again it says 2.75 ghz with 3.5gb ram. Xp is 32 bit.

Edit:
It seems newsbin stops transferring data if I do anything on the mac. Like if anything accesses the hdd then newsbin goes to 0k/sec. Then starts again after whatever is happening stops on mac.
buggs1a
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby pjcamp » Mon May 12, 2014 4:09 am

I have this problem but I'm not using search (right clicking on post headers) and in real WIndows 7, not a VM.

It doesn't happen for every file, only for some. Right click, select download, a check mark appears next to the header but there's nothing in the download list. Using Version 6.51 64 bit.
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/25/07

Postby dexter » Mon May 12, 2014 11:49 am

Look in the Failed Files tab and see if it's getting sent there. It should say why in the Status column.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pjcamp » Mon May 12, 2014 2:52 pm

dexter wrote:Look in the Failed Files tab and see if it's getting sent there. It should say why in the Status column.

First thing I thought of. It isn't anywhere on any of the tabs. This happens more than once but not all the time. I can't discern a pattern yet.
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon May 12, 2014 3:40 pm

Are these just normal group listing or multiple search tabs? I've gotten a couple reports of this but, no real clue why it happens to some people.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby pjcamp » Mon May 12, 2014 5:29 pm

Quade wrote:Are these just normal group listing or multiple search tabs? I've gotten a couple reports of this but, no real clue why it happens to some people.

Normal group listing.
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby pjcamp » Tue May 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Quade wrote:Are these just normal group listing or multiple search tabs? I've gotten a couple reports of this but, no real clue why it happens to some people.

It is almost guaranteed to happen if something has been marked as old. This is not the same thing as previously downloaded, which can be re-downloaded by bypassing filters.

Trouble is this is not a 100% rule. There are a few marked as old that work and a few new posts that don't work. So I don't really know if this is a red herring or not.
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue May 13, 2014 3:29 pm

Do you ever delete posts? With "Shift-Delete"?

I have a theory that it has something to do with having the posts in multiple groups and maybe deleting it in one group but, not from another so, when you add it to download, it's hitting the deleted post group instead of the group where it still exists.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby pjcamp » Tue May 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Quade wrote:Do you ever delete posts? With "Shift-Delete"?

I have a theory that it has something to do with having the posts in multiple groups and maybe deleting it in one group but, not from another so, when you add it to download, it's hitting the deleted post group instead of the group where it still exists.

No, I've never done that. I usually either select all, hit delete or right click and select 'mark as old'.
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue May 13, 2014 4:04 pm

That's a pretty DB intensive process. Anything you add to the download list while it's processing the group will probably be delayed but, should still get there.

As an experiment, I might try not marking them old or deleting and see if the feed to the download list works more reliably.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby pjcamp » Tue May 13, 2014 5:08 pm

Quade wrote:That's a pretty DB intensive process. Anything you add to the download list while it's processing the group will probably be delayed but, should still get there.

As an experiment, I might try not marking them old or deleting and see if the feed to the download list works more reliably.

I'll try what you say. But these are things that were marked old days or weeks ago. Surely the process would have run its course by now. In any case, it doesn't account for the new items that also don't work.
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue May 13, 2014 6:40 pm

Every time you mark old, it works over the database looking for things to mark old. I just wonder if it's busy doing that process when you're trying to add to download.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby pjcamp » Tue May 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Quade wrote:Every time you mark old, it works over the database looking for things to mark old. I just wonder if it's busy doing that process when you're trying to add to download.

Seems like in that case at some point it would be finished and the problem would go away. But once a file cannot be added to download list, it can never be added to download list.
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby pjcamp » Wed May 14, 2014 3:28 pm

I let it think all night. That should have taken care of any database updating it needed to do. I shut it down and restarted. Still won't add items to the download list. I marked old items as new and it still won't add them then either. And there are still some items not marked old that don't get loaded either.

What I notice is that a lot of these posts (but not all of them) appear twice and they seem to be identical. I'm wondering if the database has gotten corrupted in some way.
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Wed May 14, 2014 4:46 pm

How about doing your normal thing. Then re-load the group and see if the dups go away? Just reload, don't re-download headers.

It sounds like a DB issue.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby pjcamp » Wed May 14, 2014 6:00 pm

Quade wrote:How about doing your normal thing. Then re-load the group and see if the dups go away? Just reload, don't re-download headers.

It sounds like a DB issue.

Nope.

I agree it is probably a db issue. Is there a way to rebuild it?
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby pjcamp » Wed May 14, 2014 6:13 pm

Interesting data point. Don't know what it means.

1/12/2014 is a critical date. Every post before that point is duplicated and every post after that point is not. I don't recall doing much special around then. Some time between late last year and early this year I ghosted my system partition to an SSD and I upgraded Newsbin from something around 6.0 to 6.5. But I'm not sure I did either of those on exactly that date.
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Wed May 14, 2014 8:48 pm

Might want to re-download headers.

Right click the group "Post Storage\Delete Stored Posts"

Set the "Download Age" to however many day you want.

Double-click the group.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby pjcamp » Fri May 16, 2014 10:06 pm

That seems to have fixed it. Don't know how the db got corrupted but it clearly did. Thanks!
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Fri May 16, 2014 10:59 pm

I'm happy it's working.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support