Newsbin for RegNow

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin for RegNow

Postby otaku91 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:38 am

I rebuilt my system recently and after installing Newsbin, I noticed that the program was listed as Newsbin for RegNow under the start menu. It didn't say this before. What does that mean? Did I install with the wrong executable?

Thanks.
otaku91
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/03/09

Re: Newsbin for RegNow

Postby Quade » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:38 am

Regnow is one of our official distributors so, it's the same as Newsbin you'd download from our website. The key you get through Regnow is like any other key so, it'll register any version of Newsbin you happen to download now or in the future.

I'll ask Dex why it says that though. It's probably something he's doing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dexter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:54 am

Where did you originally download the installer from? If you got it from a shareware site or from our distributor site, newsbinpro.com, it'll say this. If you got it from newsbin.com it shouldn't. Even if you upgrade from the official copy on newsbin.com, it will keep the original shortcuts from the initial install.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby otaku91 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:10 pm

I was pretty sure I downloaded from Newsbin.com. If it's the same functionality, I am not that worried about it. I am not going to uninstall, reinstall and reconfigure just because the title is different.
otaku91
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/03/09

Postby dexter » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:18 pm

Doesn't impact the functionality. You can check the title bar at the top of Newsbin, it should say 6.51 Build 3162. That is the latest production release.

If you originally installed from a distributor site, even years ago, it would retain this title. The only difference is the order link would go to the distributor site, mycommerce.com which used to be RegNow. I guess it's time to update that...
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nbwul62 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:28 am

dexter wrote:Where did you originally download the installer from? If you got it from a shareware site or from our distributor site, newsbinpro.com, it'll say this. If you got it from newsbin.com it shouldn't. Even if you upgrade from the official copy on newsbin.com, it will keep the original shortcuts from the initial install.

Yep, I know ..
this is an old thread, which I stumbled over after noticing the title of the newsbin icon on my desktop to show 'for RegNow'
I recently re-installed all programs. Likely in the past being quite a while ago, I renamed the title to simpy 'Newsbin' and now, after the re-install, I noticed the additional 'for RegNow' text, which made me wonder whether or not I have been installing the right version or one that has been tampered with.

Reason for me to check the forum.

the RN.exe came from http://www.newsbinpro.com/
AFAIK, the RN version is a full (non-registered) version, whereas the other site (newsbin.com) requires the name and email address (to generate a trial key)

It seems there are minor differences in trial period and lifetime license.

Ah well ... this all starts with just being curious to know what about the meaning of this 'for RegNow' :wink:

=
=
=
nbwul62
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/18/03

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:27 am

the RN.exe came from http://www.newsbinpro.com/
AFAIK, the RN version is a full (non-registered) version, whereas the other site (newsbin.com) requires the name and email address (to generate a trial key)

It seems there are minor differences in trial period and lifetime license.

Ah well ... this all starts with just being curious to know what about the meaning of this 'for RegNow' :wink:

It means...nothing. No conspiracy of any kind. If you install the first time and don't have a key you can get a 15 day trial from our site. If you already have a key, you can install any version you want and simply enter your key.

Regnow is an official distributor. They have some requirements they want us to follow to be a distributor so that's why the download doesn't come from the same page as the regular download. You can start with the regnow version, then install any version you want later. The free trial is if you want a 15 day full featured (with search) free trial. If you have a key already, you don't need the free trial nor do you have to sign up. You just download. If you're unregistered and don't want to give us a username and email, you can still do the old 10 day limited free trial. We know some people don't want to give us an email at first. This is to accommodate them.

If you're doing the free trial, signing up for any tier of search will give you a free lifetime license key for Newsbin.

Regnow supports some Euro specific payment methods that we don't support on our site.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support