AutoPAR Does Not Pause PAR Files

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

AutoPAR Does Not Pause PAR Files

Postby EZero » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:44 am

Hello, I am currently using the trial version of Newsbin with version number 6.50: 00 36 73 10 3E CC
This is currently my settings for AutoPAR
Image link not allowed for unregistered users

So with that setting, what I want AutoPAR to do is to download the par2 file and pause the other parity files until they are needed. Afterwards, I want AutoPAR to fix my files using the parity files and when it is done, I want AutoPAR to delete the parity files from my harddrive.

What it currently does is immediately download the par2 file, then downloads all the other parity files before the data files are finished downloading. Then it tries to repair before the rest of the files are done downloading which causes a bunch of duplicate files to be created and ends up being added to the "Failed Files" tab.

If I disable AutoPAR none of these issues occur; It will download all the files, including the parity files and finish with no errors.

I have tried the common fix of closing Newsbin, going into the Data folder and deleting the AutoPAR2.DB3 file and letting Newsbin recreate the file when it starts. Doing that series of steps does not solve the problem.

Did I configure AutoPAR incorrectly for what I am trying to do? If so, please tell me which setting I need to enable/disable.

Thanks in advance.
EZero
n00b
n00b

Re: AutoPAR Does Not Pause PAR Files

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:35 am

Uncheck "Send pars to wish list" and then add a download and see what happens.

Are these combined RARS 'n PARS in a single line or are the pars in a different block than the files in the download list?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby EZero » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:08 pm

Unchecking "Send pars to wish list" has no effect.

Unfortunately, they are in a separate block than the par files. I am browsing the group and downloading the files and this is just how the uploader chooses to upload the files.

Is there a work around?

Thanks
EZero
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:48 pm

You could move the pars to the bottom of the list after the small par downloads. I'm unclear why they're downloading now though. I download stuff like that. Typically, it downloads the first par and then stalls the par download till more files download that are associated with the PAR set. At least that's how I see it working.

I'll try some test downloads.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby EZero » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:54 am

I paid closer attention to the queue and noticed that after the par2 file is downloaded, the other parity files are briefly paused for a few seconds, then the status turns to idle and then begins downloading.

Hope that helps.
EZero
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:38 am

It all helps.

I'll see if I can reproduce it. It shouldn't be doing that.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby flat_beer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:04 am

This happens to me about 50% of the time. I haven't figured out any reason it does or doesn't happen.

I like to download some pars even if I don't need them... (usually enough to repair 1 or 2 of the rars completely. in case the hard drive starts crapping out.) I just don't like to download all the pars.
flat_beer
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/14/03

Postby EZero » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:29 am

I don't even mind it downloading extra pars, all of it even. What I do mind is that it tries to repair before the download is even done and then repairs the files using the parity files, which is great and all, until newsbin downloads the actual files and then it creates a bunch of duplicate files.

I can set it to not rename duplicate files and just have a bunch of entries in the failed downloads tab but neither way is ideal.
EZero
n00b
n00b

Postby kruug » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:36 am

flat_beer wrote:This happens to me about 50% of the time. I haven't figured out any reason it does or doesn't happen.

I like to download some pars even if I don't need them... (usually enough to repair 1 or 2 of the rars completely. in case the hard drive starts crapping out.) I just don't like to download all the pars.

I suffer exactly from the same issue. I cannot predict when it happens, but most of the time I see it happening when I download music albums with a total size of about 200-300 MB.
If I download a movie of 5 or 9 GB it never happens that all the pars are downloaded, with the exception when the rars are damaged or missing.

It SEEMS (so I am cetainly not sure) that it happens when there is a slight delay of downloading the rars and that this is the signal for Newsbin to start downloading the pars.
kruug
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/27/09

Postby Quade » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:59 am

It SEEMS (so I am cetainly not sure) that it happens when there is a slight delay of downloading the rars and that this is the signal for Newsbin to start downloading the pars.

When the pars and rars are combined together. It's easy for Newsbin to know when to download the PARS. When the PARS and files are in distinct blocks it's harder to know so, I could imagine this happening. One thing you could try would be to increase the retry's. Maybe change it to 4 and and see if this happens less. Retry's trigger when Newsbin decides to try to do a repair.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby kruug » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Quade wrote:One thing you could try would be to increase the retry's. Maybe change it to 4 and and see if this happens less. Retry's trigger when Newsbin decides to try to do a repair.

Unfortunately, this did not do the trick. Again all pars were downloaded without the need for repair.
kruug
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/27/09

Return to V6 Technical Support