Excessive memory usage???

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Excessive memory usage???

Postby LuckyFool » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:15 pm

I had a few problems like tabs, hide auto hide, floating and dockable they seemed to resolve themselves over night.

But now seem that the memory usage is high 254,000k from Windows 7 task mgr.
and when transferring files from a newsgroup to the downloading files list, it is not done instantly like it was 2 days ago.
When you look at the downloading files list each file is transferred slowly comes over 1 at a time.

I am also getting (ERROR FileIOThread - internal crash) and have had to reboot a couple of times
It has also crashed on me twice and shut down.

No other programs are running except usual windows stuff. I have checked system for viruses etc none.
Newsbin 6.51B1, Cache 56/300, free space in DL folders 65.46GB, Auto UnRAR disabled,
LuckyFool
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/17/13

Re: Excessive memory usage???

Postby Quade » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:56 pm

I am also getting (ERROR FileIOThread - internal crash) and have had to reboot a couple of times

As in reboot your PC?

Might be worth it to exit Newsbin and then erase the downloads.db3 file. This will clear the download/wish and failed lists.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby LuckyFool » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:49 pm

Yes as in reboot pc.
Shouldn't the program handle this instead of deleting downloads.db3 file?
Plus there is only 4 failed files and 132 files in the download list with no partial files downloaded.
LuckyFool
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:20 am

You've not really given me much to work with.

- You have mystery crashes and you're using 245 Megs of ram. 245 megs isn't really all that much for Newsbin.

- You said you rebooted but, you didn't really explain why. Did you have to reboot or did you reboot to try to clean things up?

- If you have thousands of entries in the download list, that might explain the ram usage. With a 200 block cache, the default, Newsbin will use at least 100 megs of ram as buffer space for the downloaded files. It tries to download into memory and only write to disk once.

Since you didn't give me much to go on so, I suggested the easiest thing. Which is clear the deck and see if the problem goes away. If you were forced to reboot because your PC locked up. I'm going to blame the PC. If you just rebooted to be safe then it's probably something else. This whole process is basically a guessing game. I'm not having any crashes so, I have to try to guess why you're having crashes.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby LuckyFool » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:32 am

newsbin crashed and i rebooted machine.
that was a direct copy from one of newsbin errors.
as per 1st post my cache is at 300 block cache.
What more info do you need? Its not my cpu.
I'm not a novice but no expert I have been doing pc's since dos 2.3.
even did punch cards in college with COBOL.
you'll be hard pressed finding cleaner running pc among average users.
LuckyFool
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:54 am

1 - 300 block cache = 150-200 megs of ram use just for buffering. So, your ram use is reasonable. You can figure it as 300-700K of RAM per cache block. It depends on the mix of what you're downloading.

2 - You didn't say how many items were in the download list. A few or many? I'm just guessing many, because you don't seem to want to delete the download list db. If the DB is corrupt, which does happen, that might be the source of the crashing.

3 - What kind of CPU is it? How much RAM do you have?

This sticks out because I don't think I've ever seen this. It's a sign something is corrupt though it's not clear what. The FileIOthread just writes data to disk. Are you downloading to a normal internal hard disk?

I still think deleting the DB3's might be worth doing. Maybe exit, Newsbin, move them out of the data folder, then restart and see what happens.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support