Newsbin won't exit and random crashes.

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Newsbin won't exit and random crashes.

Postby Lonewolf3 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:22 am

Hi, I'm using 6.50RC2: 00 10 56 17 27 60. Newsbin won't exit either using the 'X' or from the taskbar. Have to kill it using taskmanager.
Also suffering from random crashes when viewing groups or changing speed limiter whilst headers are downloading.
Win 7 x64 6 core AMD 12GB

Thanks. Let me know if you need more info.
Lonewolf3
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Newsbin won't exit and random crashes.

Postby dexter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:43 pm

The strange problems seem to come from AMD machines. I've never experienced the issue of not being able to close Newsbin from the "X" myself, even when running in an XP VM.

You could try the latest 6.50 RC that was just released, it does address a crash issue that may be related to what you are reporting. It's on the beta download page.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mimauk » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:35 pm

dexter wrote:The strange problems seem to come from AMD machines..

Running latest RC.

I beg to differ - I'm running an Intel5 4 core machine with Win7 64 bit and I've reported crashes ever since NB6.4 or maybe even earlier. The crashes usually stem from closing a group tab too quickly after deleting or marking the posts old.

The problem with NB not closing down I reported a couple a couple of weeks/Betas ago. In my case when I close NB with the "x" if the GUI closes within 2 seconds then I know that NB has closed down properly - if the GUI takes more than 2 seconds to close, then even when it goes after 3 or 4 seconds, its odds on that it is still running in the background and I don't mean it is updating the data bases etc. I've gone to start NB 5 hours later and nothing happens - when I open Task Manager NB is running but no GUI.

I've checked with Task Manager several hours after shutting NB down and before trying to start it and it shows it is still running so I know that it has not shut down.

The strange thing is that it only happens about 5 times out of 10 when shutting NB down.

A further problem happened today when I went to start NB and was waiting for it to start I also started my Browser and the whole machine hung up and I had to pull the plug to shut my machine down. In this case, I don't know if NB was still running after closing it 7 hours before.
mimauk
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/29/06

Postby dexter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:16 pm

What antivirus software are you running? It sounds like something is conflicting. If you configure your AV software to ignore Newsbin's data folder, your problems may go away.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lonewolf3 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:38 pm

I don't believe its chipset related as Ive also tried it on my Intel laptop and get the same problems.
I use ESET and have never had problems before. This started about 2 releases ago for me.
If I turn off AV for the data directory aren't i opening myself up to attack ?
Ive also seen a lot of issues lately with IE11 but not sure how this could be related, apart from MS doing its usual to mess things up.
Lonewolf3
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Ive also seen a lot of issues lately with IE11 but not sure how this could be related, apart from MS doing its usual to mess things up.

Like what kind of issues?

So far I've not been able to make it crash for me but, I have several reports of random crashing. Got a new version in the works too. Hard to know what to fix when if doesn't crash for me.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Lonewolf3 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:49 pm

IE11 has stopped my IP camera software working which has something to do with the ActiveX component.
My auto backup software which uses shadow copy causes IE11 to crash and sometimes so badly only a reboot fixes.
IE11 will occasionally crash on startup. Since I rolled back to IE10 I'm getting more random crashes with newsbin and does not close cleanly, have to use taskmanager to kill the process.
Lonewolf3
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:06 pm

If I was in your shoes I think I'd re-install windows from scratch.

Dex has the new version. The people who reported random crashes and who have tried it say it doesn't crash anymore so, I have high hopes that this will be the 6.50 release. He should be posting it to the forum tonight.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Lonewolf3 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:51 am

Happy to report that the issues I've been having seem resolved. No crashes since installing rc4.

Great work, thanks very much.

Weirdly, just for those who may have had similar issues especially with IE11, after allowing ActiveX to run and installing an update from FOSCAM IE11 now seems to be working OK as well.
Lonewolf3
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:17 am

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping that was the case.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support