question re ID3 tag usage in filenames

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

question re ID3 tag usage in filenames

Postby pjcamp » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:18 pm

Under filename options, if you choose to save files in a folder using, say, Artist/Album, why does it always use the composer's name for artist and not the band name? This is entirely appropriate behavior for classical titles, where you want to find things by name of composer, but not for anything else at all. For instance, if you were to acquire The <something or other> tracks would be stored in at least three separate folders since <some stuff> were not written by them. Why would anybody want that? <Just plain deleted> With this system, you have to go find them all and assemble a folder by hand. At least, I cant see any way to modify this behavior and it is intensely annoying.

Seems like "Artist" should generally refer to the performer and there should be separate choices for Composer.
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/25/07

Re: question re ID3 tag usage in filenames

Postby Quade » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:30 pm

What ID3 tag do you think it should use first then?

TCOM comes before TPE1-3

I don't have a problem changing the order but, don't have a good handle on which tag should take precedence. I could let some other tag be higher in the order while leaving TCOM in there for if the rest fails.

Don't mention specifics here. It's against the rules.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby pjcamp » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:09 am

Oops! Sorry. Well, that was just an example I looked up in All-Music anyway. Won't do it again.

I'm thinking rather than fall-through hierarchies just more (and more explicit) choices. TPE1-3 seem like essentially the same thing (ish) to me and I wouldn't have a problem with having them lumped together under say "Performer." Whereas TCOM is a different thing and may or may not map onto performers. So if I saw choices like Performer/Album, Album/Performer, Composer/Album, Album/Composer and so on I'd know what to do in any given situation. Sometimes you want to do one and sometimes the other. And as you say it isn't obvious what the automatic hierarchy should be anyway.
pjcamp
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/25/07

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:23 am

I moved TCOM below TPE in the order. We'll have to see how that works out. There's not mechanism to support abitrary ID3 tags but, I supposed I could look into adding one.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support