Version 6.50B16 - Min Size filter

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Version 6.50B16 - Min Size filter

Postby 350Zeeone » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:45 pm

Installed: Version 6.50B16: 00 D6 E5 DD 0B 0C, Keep up the good work!

I installed version 6.50 beta 14 and beta 15 before upgrading to beta 16

Inclusion
In the Search window, after the 1-GBytes Min Size filter the next available size jumps to 5-GBytes; 3-GBytes & 4-GBytes min sizes need to be included for more convenience and flexibility.

Question
Failed posts’ (Red bar) seems to slow download speed considerably. Example: 7.8 - 8.8 Kbps/<1 KBps to 15.6 Kbps/2.0 KBps; compared to 33.7Mbps/4.1MBps to 42.6 Mbps/5.6 MBps on good downloads.

Why does it get so sluggish when no files are being download?

Thank you
Gerald
350Zeeone
n00b
n00b

Re: Version 6.50B16 - Min Size filter

Postby Quade » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:55 am

What kind of machine do you have?

How many connections are you using?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby dexter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:00 pm

350Zeeone wrote:Failed posts’ (Red bar) seems to slow download speed considerably.

The traffic is slowed because you are receiving errors from the news server. If you click the Logging tab within Newsbin, you'll be able to see what these messages are. Newsbin is then retrying the download or trying to download from a different server if you have multiple servers configured. You will not get full datarate if you are getting errors.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 350Zeeone » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:00 am

Dear Dexter, Quade,

Thank you for your replies. I do realize that download speed is dependent on number of connections. The download speed in question was when 30+ connections were enabled; Even when 10 connections were selected, download speed was still at its best 42.6 Mbps/5.6 MBps.

Affording users the additional filters 2 G. Bytes, 3 G. Bytes & 4 G. Bytes to Min Size downloads does add convenience & practicality to an already stellar Newsreader. The other issue I noted on the 6.50 B16 - Build:3030 was possibilities of memory leaks; when left overnight the entire system becomes sluggish and unstable to the point of constant freezes the next morning.

Regards
Gerald

• Newsgroup: Giganews [VyprVPN=160 bit]
  • Firewall: VIPRE Business Premium v6.2.5530.0

• Dell XPS 17
    • Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
    • Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    • Model: Dell System XPS L702X
    • Total system memory: 8.00 GB RAM DDR 3
    • System type: 64-bit operating system
    • Processor cores: 4

• Manufacturer: Samsung SSD
    • Model: PM810 2.5 25
    • Bytes/Sector: 512
    • Media Type: Fixed hard disk
    • Size: 256GB
    • Free: 181GB

• Router: Netgear Prosecure UTM25
    • WAN: Dual Balancing (Cable & DSL)
350Zeeone
n00b
n00b

Postby dexter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:53 am

350Zeeone wrote: I do realize that download speed is dependent on number of connections. The download speed in question was when 30+ connections were enabled; Even when 10 connections were selected, download speed was still at its best 42.6 Mbps/5.6 MBps.

I am not surprised that 10 connections gives you a better download speed than 30. We are always telling people that more is not better. The best thing to do is experiment starting with a few connections and then work your way up until you get your max download speed which is usually < the max allowed connections. Only people with high latency Internet connections really benefit from running more connections. Otherwise, more connections means more overhead and more chances of issues going over connection limits if you have some intermittent Internet connectivity issues.

350Zeeone wrote:The other issue I noted on the 6.50 B16 - Build:3030 was possibilities of memory leaks; when left overnight the entire system becomes sluggish and unstable to the point of constant freezes the next morning.

Did you have a post list open while downloading headers? If so, this is not a memory leak, you were telling Newsbin to download directly into RAM the entire time. If you are leaving Newsbin unattended while downloading headers, you should make sure all post lists are closed. We have no other reports of memory leaks so if that is not what you are doing, give us a procedure that would allow us to recreate this issue.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 350Zeeone » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:06 am

My News Server permits me 50 connections, but apparently not too useful. Bummer!

dexter wrote:
Did you have a post list open while downloading headers? If so, this is not a memory leak, you were telling Newsbin to download directly into RAM the entire time. If you are leaving Newsbin unattended while downloading headers, you should make sure all post lists are closed. We have no other reports of memory leaks so if that is not what you are doing, give us a procedure that would allow us to recreate this issue.

I believe that by enabling Automatic Update Mode in Options/Switches and leaving Newsbin unattended overnight, may have triggered the anomaly.

dexter wrote:
If you are leaving Newsbin unattended while downloading headers, you should make sure all post lists are closed.

Kindly delineate further how does one do that, as I am unfamiliar with the procedure; on how to close all post lists.

On another issue, with the installation of the latest version the download path would list testing file download; under size it would indicate download activity completion 100% 23328 of 23328 . This only happens with certain packages, as it does not happen at every download.

Would be great if I could include image files with my post, would make things much easier to explain.

Thanks

Regards
Gerald
350Zeeone
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:49 am

If you have a tab open for a group, or a group of groups (multiple groups loaded into a single tab). Then "Download all Headers" or doing another larger header download for this set of groups, all the headers will end up in the displayed tab and in RAM, which could potentially run you short on RAM. It depends on whether you're 32 or 64 bit and how much ram you have. Dex is suggesting you click the X and close the tab if you do this large header download and walk away. This doesn't apply to search.

For periodic header downloads. Say once an hour where you're only downloading the latest headers since the last update, you probably don't have to worry about this.

On another issue, with the installation of the latest version the download path would list testing file download; under size it would indicate download activity completion 100% 23328 of 23328 . This only happens with certain packages, as it does not happen at every download.

Sounds like you told newsbin to test the download but, not to actually download. I'm sort of unclear what you mean. "Test Download" is a specific tool to test how much of the download is available from the server.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby 350Zeeone » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks for the response & assistance, I believe I got it! Moving on to version 6.50 beta 18.

What are some of the recommended configurations for optimum download speed?

I like Newsbin's new and improved website layout. Keep up the good work. The website appears to work better on Google Chrome v30.0.1599.101 m & Mozilla FireFox v24.0 than Internet Explorer v10.0.9200.

Some other issues:
  • Too bad the 3GB & 4GB minimum size filters were not included in the search feature for v6.50 beta 18 it used to be in a number of versions, before, is there a reason these filters are not included in the current versions?
  • Funny I was under the impression that I registered for this forum, but in this post I am considered an unregistered user?

Thank you
Gerald

Happy Halloween!
350Zeeone
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support