hidden files

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

hidden files

Postby cool-vibes » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:49 pm

Ist possibe to make newsbin download to a hidden file, it does not see hidden files even when they are not hidden?
cool-vibes
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/02/05

Re: hidden files

Postby Quade » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:58 pm

What are you trying to accomplish?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby cool-vibes » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:43 pm

I have a netgear usb router (wndr4500) with dd-wrt the only way i can get to transfer files from ubuntu 12.04 to the router is from a hidden .gvfs folder ,the problem is that newsbin does not see hidden folders.
cool-vibes
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:28 pm

How about using Procmon to see what Newsbin is doing and what errors there are when Newsbin accesses this folder. This is a pretty out-there request. I'll need you to do all the legwork because I have no idea why this is necessary or how to make it work. If Windows can access the folder, Newsbin should be able to. What about mounting the drive as a drive letter?

Why not just install Samba under Ubuntu and copy the files directly?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DThor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:12 am

I'm trying to read between the lines here - are you running newsbin under wine? If you are, you can simply set up a symbolic link from whatever directory you're having trouble with to a standard, visible folder, for example :

ln -s /location/.gvs /standard/newsbinwine/download/dir

I've done that many times so newsbin puts things in more meaningful linux-y locations rather than the wine file structure.

If you're talking about permissions, not 'hidden' per se(it might be hidden to one user but not root, for example), that's another ball of yarn(that's solvable).

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby cool-vibes » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:31 pm

DThor wrote:I'm trying to read between the lines here - are you running newsbin under wine? If you are, you can simply set up a symbolic link from whatever directory you're having trouble with to a standard, visible folder, for example :

ln -s /location/.gvs /standard/newsbinwine/download/dir

I've done that many times so newsbin puts things in more meaningful linux-y locations rather than the wine file structure.

If you're talking about permissions, not 'hidden' per se(it might be hidden to one user but not root, for example), that's another ball of yarn(that's solvable).

DT

Yes DThor i am using wine the .gvs is located in the home directoy when my router usb srorage is mounted that is where it shows up. Could you explain how to setup a symbolic link.
cool-vibes
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:26 am

It's basically what I typed above, you can google for the full syntax, but you want a symbolic link(thus "-s"), with the location you want linked to, and where you want to link. You can link between the standard download location in the wine folder (sorry, I'm not on Linux atm but it's something like $HOME/.wine/drive_c/users/somewhere - the standard c drive structure you see inside wine is in that drive_c directory) and a directory in $HOME/.gvs.

ln - s $HOME/.wine/drive_c/see_above $HOME/.gvs/Downloads

for example. The first location must already exist, and the second one cannot - it will be created. Now anything that exists inside the newsbin download folder shows up in that folder in .gvs. It's internally pointing to the same location. Because it's symbolic, you can delete the gvs folder and it doesn't affect the original one - it's just pointing to it.

Symbolic links are stunningly useful and I use them all the time in production. Currently I'm stuck at an all windows facility and was glad to find there are symlinks in windows, too, just not a lot of people seem to use them with the windows mindset of tracking every bloody installed file in the registry...

I'm reasonably sure you can manually enter the .gvs path into the nbi config file too, that's another option.

There's also an option in winecfg under drives to "show dot files", which may or may not work depending on specifics of how Quade does the requestor call.

As usual, with Linux there are typically 3-10 exceedingly verbose ways to skin a cat. :-)

DT

P. S. Just noticed in my first post I pooched the syntax and had the order backwards - ignore that and follow this post, sorry.
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Postby cool-vibes » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:11 pm

The ln - s $HOME/.wine/drive_c/see_above $HOME/.gvs/Downloads is this palced on a drive in wine?
cool-vibes
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:12 am

Nope, I'd skip this whole approach since it doesn't sound like you're familiar with the shell and running linux commands, you'll just end up mussing up something and blaming me. :) Try the winecfg thing I mentioned, or editing the newsbin nbi config file.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Return to V6 Technical Support