Managing Dowloads to Different Directories

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Managing Dowloads to Different Directories

Postby eclapwannabe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:03 pm

I'm trying to move out of the newbie program into a more experienced user mode.

I have a system for storing and collecting files on multiple HD's. Through trial and error I have a system that
I can manage.

When I used X-news I could start downloading to a specific path(directory) for all the files that were related to that subject.
If I had opened three different newsgroups than after the initial setup for those collections the program would keep open that file folder until I completed my task. But with using NB Pro I have to keep switching back to a different directory for a given newsgroup subject. I was reading through one of the guides and it mentions being able to download to a specific subject. I was pretty excited about this and thought that it may be the solution. But after reading further and trying to comprehend exactly what it would be doing I think I am back to square one.
Tell me if I am wrong but the way I am interpreting this is that wherever you set up the main download directory then the downloaded files would be set up in a sub-directory file name that corresponded to the file description of the header. Of course I could just move the file folder to my designated areas but that is more work for me.

I did notice something under the group option that looks promising. There is an option to send the folder to a dummy. Do I have the option to change the path for that dummy(is this a dummy file folder?). I am probably asking to much specialization for this program. In essence what I would like is for the program to remember which path(directory/sub-file folder) dependent on the newsgroup name. Can NB Pro do this?

Thanks in advance for any answers to this problem and hopefully I have made my self clear in this matter.

ECWB
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Re: Managing Dowloads to Different Directories

Postby itimpi » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Newsbin allows you a lot of control over download paths.

You can set group specific download paths if you want by selecting the Properties of a group from the right-click menu. If you use the group-of-groups (GoG) facility to put multiple groups under a folder then you can inherit this setting from the parent (or over-ride at the group level).

You also can use the pathing variables to set folders relative to the main download path - click the Edit button to see what variables you can use. These include the group name, the subject and a variety of other options. Not sure if these can also be used relative to group specific paths - Quade would have to comment on that (or simply try it).
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby eclapwannabe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:42 pm

Itimpi Thanks for your quick response.

After further review and actually reading I have found my answer.
I guess anything is possible with this program. I would like to take advantage
of nzb files but it looks like a lot of the NZB indexing services are going by the
wayside. I would pay the extra bucks to NB Pro but they don't index binaries programs so I'm
just out of luck. I have been a Supernews(Giganews) user for the last 4 years I am thinking of going
back to Newshosting and use their search engine program.

NB Pro seems to be a very robust program and it looks like it will take the same dog-eared determination
I used in Grad school to learn Greek and Hebrew. BTW I don't speak just being able to read and understand.

ECWB
eclapwannabe
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/20/12

Postby Quade » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:42 pm

I would pay the extra bucks to NB Pro but they don't index binaries programs so I'm
just out of luck.

We index everything except the image groups. If you're missing a specific group, you just need to tell Dex about it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RayMark » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:09 pm

you can also run several instances of NewsBin simultaneously started with different .nbi files.
And those .nbi files point to DIFFERENT data folders. You know, the folders containing SPOOL_V6, Downloads.db3,SIGNATURE.db3 files, etc.

Then you can have several different default download paths (to different hard drives) in those .nbi files as well.

One of disadvantages of this approach: managing simultaneous connections:
for example, if the news server allows 50 simultaneous connections and you have two NewsBins running and both using the same server, you have to set 25 and 25 or 30 and 20 etc. Or be careful to pause one when you are using the other one if you want 50 and 50.

But when your optimal number of simultaneous connections is less than the maximum number the server allows (for example: 20), you can have 20 + 20 without any disadvantages.
RayMark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/07

Return to V6 Technical Support