Hangs while trying to remove download?

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Hangs while trying to remove download?

Postby Quasi » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:08 pm

Has anyone run into this issue yet? Sometimes, when I have a file downloading but it's missing a portion of it's headers and I want to stop downloading it, I'll click on the file in the download queue and try to delete it. When I do that the program hangs and shows a (Not Responding). I also get this under the same circumstances but instead of using the delete key, I right click on the file and select "Remove from Download" from the menu options. To fix it, I have to restart the program and then delete/remove the program from the download queue before Newsbin can start doing anything with the file. I have the latest build but I did notice this same behavior in the previous build. I read something about this (6.42-Build 2148) addressing time out issues so I upgraded to it thinking it would resolve the problem.

Just curious to see if anyone else has had this problem pop up?
Quasi
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/02/04

Re: Hangs while trying to remove download?

Postby DThor » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:21 am

Nope, never had a hang deleting things from the download queue whether they were in the middle of downloading or not. Any chance it was past the downloading phase and was assembling or par repairing? Once that starts, it has to finish, and I'm unsure what would happen if you delete it at that time. I could perhaps see a lockup then, but it would just be waiting for the extract /repair to finish.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quasi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:38 am

If it's actively downloading, it's easy to delete. When it's no longer downloading but is missing portions and isn't visibly running anything (par/unrar) is when it hangs. An example you have 40 parts and #38-#40 are a partial black (empty) with no working pars it just sits there. Is it trying to run something? I wonder if I just turn off the AutoPAR would that alleviate the issue? I'll try that the next time I have the issue and let you know.

Thanks for the ideas!
Quasi
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:56 am

It tries to clean up after itself when you do a delete. What kind of drive is the destination drive? Internal, NAS or something else?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mimauk » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:13 am

I had it happen once a few weeks ago when I was downloading a sample file but hit the par2 for the sample instead of the sample file. I tried to delete the par2 file but NB just hung even after restarting it. In the end I had to add the sample file to the download list and everything downloaded and cleared from the download list automatically.
mimauk
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/29/06

Postby Quasi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:22 pm

The destination drive is a WD 3Tb with just under 1tb free space. There's no drive LED on during this time. It's a Intel i5, 8gbRam, Win7 64bit system. I tried deleting just the partial empty individual header files (using my previous example I tried to delete #38-#40) and ran into the same issue of hanging. When I run into that scenario again I'll deselect the AutoPar and see if I still have the issue.
Quasi
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:37 pm

I'd not bother with autopar. It has nothing really to do with the download list. How many items do you have in the download list? I might delete the downloads.db3 in case it's become corrupt. It's what holds the download, failed and wish lists.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Quasi » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:26 pm

I've had it happen when it's the only file in the download queue as well as having multiple files waiting to download. I deleted the downloads.db3 as you suggested and will let you know if anymore problems show up. Thanks!
Quasi
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quasi » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:28 am

Now I actually have it at the point where it will not let me delete the files without locking the program up. I took a screen shot of it. I have 3 files that are paused and 4 files in the queue that are active. Those files are part A & B of a single file name. When it attempts to download them, it will show RAR within RAR and move part B into the Failed Files but it will leave part A in the queue, just sitting there. I should mention that part B was ahead of part A in the order of downloading in this particular instance. I went to delete part A but the program just froze. Each time I restarted Newsbin the same thing would happen. I even tried to highlight all of the files and select "Pause", then I waited until the download meter showed 0Kbps and tried to delete the file. Program froze. Finally I was quick enough to delete the first file after the Message of the Day window disappeared. After that I just hit the delete button to get the others out of the queue.

I know I probably could have deleted the dowloads.db3 file again but I didn't think that should be necessary since this issue has only popped up in the last 2 revisions that I've installed. I had never run into this particular idiosyncrasy before. That and I didn't want to lose the other files that had been paused, with a majority of them already partially downloaded into file folders.
Quasi
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby DThor » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:51 am

Absolutely, if you've already tried deleting the db3 file, you shouldn't have to keep doing it(make sure you deleted it when newsbin was shut down though). I might have missed something, but the 3T destination drive - is it external /usb? If it's anything that can 'spin down', that might be related - some users have reported issues with system resources that should just 'be there' but currently are offline. You might want to see if you can reproduce this just using your primary drive, to eliminate possibilities.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quasi » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:48 pm

Ran into this again (more and more frequently sad to say) and had the chance to check the "Disable AutoPar" option and it didn't seem to help with being able to delete the problem child file. I had a separate Par file that had downloaded completely but was still showing in the Downloading Files tab. I tried to delete the file but that caused the program to hang. When I restarted Newsbin I went passed the MOD, watched the Par file populate back into the Downloading Files tab and opened the options - AutoPar - Disable AutoPar. I then tried to delete the Par file causing the program to show "Not Responding" again. I left it alone, running in the background, for about 5 minutes with no change in behavior so I closed Newsbin.

I ended up going into the download directory where the par file was and deleted the files. I then restarted Newsbin, went passed the MOD, watched the Par file populate back into the Downloading Files and waited a few moments. After about 30 seconds the Par file disappeared on its own.

Any ideas or advice?
Quasi
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Chris1701A » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:47 am

I'd like to mention that I'm having this problem too.

For example, this happened again this morning: Newsbin was idle and there were 126 files listed in the "Downloading Files" tab. These files were in one way or another incomplete and in my limited experience never going to complete so I selected all with Ctrl-A and hit delete; Newbin asked for confirmation and I said yes after a couple seconds the title bar says "not responding" and then within a minute Windows says something like "Newsbin, this program is not responding and needs to be closed".

In the last couple weeks this has happened more than half a dozen times.

- Chris
Chris1701A
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/31/03

Postby shawn » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:19 am

Glad to see that someone else has run into that issue. I have seen the "Not Responding" issue myself at least a few times a week. The strange thing is I can quit Newsbin (6.42 64 bit on Windows 8) and start it back up and it will run fine for hours. I'm not seeing any other instability in my system other than with Newsbin.
shawn
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/02/03

Postby Chris1701A » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:13 pm

I've had newsbin run fine for days and as long as a week without issue, and it's only when I try and delete a group of items from the downloads queue that this problem occurs. In the last couple weeks I've deleted small groups of items (4-10) and not had the "not responding problem" so I'm not entirely sure but I think it only happens when a larger number of items are selected i.e. greater than 100.

- Chris
Chris1701A
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/31/03

Return to V6 Technical Support