download history

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

download history

Postby michaelsu76 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:20 pm

My HD failed and i lost a boat load of files. i had a backup, but a bad controller corrupted the backup as well.

im trying to re download all of it right now.

i know that newsbin keeps a long record of those downloads for the duplicate detector. how do i access that history? v6.21

thanks for the help!
michaelsu76
n00b
n00b

Re: download history

Postby DThor » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 pm

That sucks! Unfortunately AFAIK the signature.db3 file(that's the dupe detector database) is truly minimal - it just stores a hashtag of what was downloaded to be compared against as opposed to file names, etc., to keep it fast and trim. That's why two files named the same don't stomp over each other - the only accurate measurement is a hash of the file. I don't think you could get any useful information from that. Quade may beg to differ, though.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Yeah, Newsbin doesn't store the actual names of things you've downloaded. Just the fingerprint. Sadly, I don't see an easy way to do this.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby michaelsu76 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:56 pm

man that would suck. i had some great nzbs from the nzbmatrix days. stuff that i cant binsearch. and most of these newsnab indices havent indexed. esp with the way posts have gone undercover in the post `matrix era

im surprised that newsbin doesnt keep a detailed history. just browsing headers it seems plenty capable of remembering which rars ive downloaded from over a year ago.

and there's that files tab on the bottom that keeps a rolling tab of your downloads. how far back does that go?

i think itd be awesome if nb could remember where you got which files... even better keep a local encyclopedia of nzbs.feature request?

nzbmatrix we miss you. r.i.p.
michaelsu76
n00b
n00b

Postby itimpi » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:22 pm

At one time Newsbin DID add tracking downloads and that promptly caused many users to complain that it was a privacy/security risk, so the feature got removed.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby michaelsu76 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:36 pm

seriously? well that couldve been set to OFF on default and for the rest of us we couldve opted in.
michaelsu76
n00b
n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support