Duplicate files

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Duplicate files

Postby mimauk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:42 am

Just a curiosity question.

Every now and again I get a download fail due to newsbin saying the file is ''HFC duplicate'' or something like that - this usually occurs when downloading a series of files from the same poster. I know I can download the file by the ignore filters option.

I was just curious if there was a way to see the names of the two files anywhere?
mimauk
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/29/06

Re: Duplicate files

Postby DThor » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:33 am

The failed files tab shows the filename, I believe. This gets cleared out after a restart, though. Apart from that and of course the original post list should you be using spools, I don't think so. The information is stored in the signatures.db3 file, but I'm fairly sure it's not names, but checksums of the first chunk.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby mimauk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:46 am

I can see the dup file in the Failed File list and also the icon in the Groups tab shows an indication - I was just curious if I could see the name of the file that it was compared to and that had already been downloaded.

No Biggie - just being nosy. :D :D :D
mimauk
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/29/06

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:05 am

It doesn't use the filename. It uses a digital fingerprint of the file. What it stores is this non-reversible finger print. There's a file called "Signature.db3" which contains all the finger prints for all the files but, no filenames or other identifying information about what you've been downloading.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support