What to do when Importing stops

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

What to do when Importing stops

Postby mtruth » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:24 am

Hi,

I've been doing some reading and would like to know if when you are downloading headers, they stop showing up.

From the reading, you look at the Cache, and it tells you that the importing is not running correctly. I've seen on my computer Cache: 84/100 (22000).

Is there a way to kick off that importing processes?

I've seen it happen a few times. I'm running a pretty powerful computer, the best I could afford about a year ago.

I have deleted all my headers and I am in the process of redownloading all the headers again. On Giganews that can take some time.

Since I reinstalled everything from scratch I downloaded my multimedia headers with no issues groups like (a.b.multimedia).

I then continued to download headers for other groups and my multimedia headers stopped showing up. After some research here, I figured out that the import process had stopped. So now I'm downloading headers in a slow and controlled manner. I'm sure that with even doing that I could have the issue again.

I've read that you should delete the rv4 files and that could fix the issue. But then you could have data loss. Is there someway without deleting the files to start the import process? Is there someway to find out what file is causing the issue (to me that makes the most sense)? Because if this happens again, I would like to know how to restart my import without deleting all the headers that I have downloaded and starting everything from scratch again.

Cheers,

Michael
mtruth
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Re: What to do when Importing stops

Postby itimpi » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:43 am

The figure in brackets is the number of files on disk containing headers that still need processing into the calibre header database format. As long as that number is steadily going down (when not downloading new headers) then you simply have a huge backlog of Newsbin header processing. Once they have been processed into newbin header databases then they are available for viewing.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Re: What to do when Importing stops

Postby Quade » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:03 am

Wow that's pretty awful.

The way to get it going again is to figure out what file it's stuck on. Honestly a wipe and re-download of headers might be the only solution. If you restart, does it start processing them again?

In the options, in Advanced, set the Logging to "Debug".

Restart Newsbin and look for:

[10:02:12] DEBUG - DbWorker: Db Updated:<gpoup>:news.giganews.com-213385593.rv4

The last one you see listed is probably bad. If you delete it, it's possible the import will continue. Might need to exit, delete then restart.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support