fill server doesn't really work

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

fill server doesn't really work

Postby newsie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm using 6.34 final

I have two servers, a normal one and a fill one. On the fill one, I have the fill server checkbox checked. But it doesn't ever work unless I first try to download something, then realize that the main server didn't have it, then I go into server and manually disable the main server...then finally the fill server will download.

Isn't the fill server supposed to download as soon as it sees that the main server is not getting it? This is the 2nd or 3rd time trying this and it's always this way.
newsie
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/27/11

Re: fill server doesn't really work

Postby newsie » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:10 am

polite bump?
newsie
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/27/11

Postby DThor » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:14 am

Apart from a bug in that particular release (which I don't think is the case), keep in mind that newsbin will go through the retry process on the master server before hitting the fill server, AFAIK. The reason is many users only want their fill server hit if it *really definitely* isn't on the primary one, since the fill is typically pay by the block. The retry process helps to eliminate temporary unavailable blocks caused by network issues, a server side sync problem, or other anomalies. Depending on how many retries you have set in the options, this might take several minutes. You can lessen the retries setting if this is unimportant to you, but needs to be at least one. I believe the longest I typically wait with one retry is around 30 seconds. Or, you can just ignore it and eventually it will hit the fill.

Also, if you are having connection issues where they are failing and timing out, that can increase the wait time. This is often a server side problem.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:27 am

Do you have anything set in the fill server like "Use Typical Retention"? It sounds like you have the server set to not kick in in other ways and when you disable the main server Newsbin goes into "only one server, ignore retention settings". Is the chunk that won't retry fill, red or black?

What server are you using? Astra implemented a way to handle DMCA takedowns that's...confusing to older versions of Newsbin. Basically they don't declare and error but, return an empty post instead.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support