Restore Window Layout

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Restore Window Layout

Postby compy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I Seem to be going mad over a stupid issue here. I was trying to close the "Search" pane, which I've now learned is no longer a function, and I've seemed to make it so I cannot view any other windows. Under "View", I have "Downloads List" checked, but clicking it does nothing. Checking other stuff like "Image database" and "thumbnails" turns them yellow, but they don't appear either. Search is set to "Dockable". I can only assume its dominating all the other windows, and they're hiding behind it? I don't know.

After much frustration, I just uninstalled newsbin. I deleted all the files, registry, etc when prompted by the uninstaller. I reinstalled and it was still the same layout!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!
compy
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/12/10

Re: Restore Window Layout

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:27 pm

In the options menu, check "Reset Display Layout on Restart". Then restart. Might want to make sure the lock icon is unpressed too.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby compy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:07 am

That did it! Thanks! Totally overlooked that option.
compy
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/12/10

Postby megalomando » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:30 pm

I'm having much the same issue. I tried the above suggestions, rebooted and the problem persists. I have a screen capture of what it used to look like but I can't upload a photo here. All I can do is try to describe what that print looks like:

There are two major sections: The upper one has two tabs that are always present; Search & Groups list. When I click on a nzb it shows the files in this upper section under a new tab for each nzb I click on. A slider is on the right of any of these tabs if the data has more lines than the top screen allows at one time.

The lower section has 4 tabs; downloading files, failed files, files list & Logging. When I click on files to download they automatically go to the lower tab and I can see their progress.

I've never had a problem with the fields disappearing and becoming something different but now the search window fills the entire view from the upper toolbar on down. I can click on different views from the toolbar like "downloading files" or "failed files" and they show up as individual windows but not as tabs. I've tried to arrange the windows so I can work with them but clicking on a new nzb and I have to shuffle windows around to see the files to download.

I have a backup disk with all the newsbin files & replaced the newsbin.nbi and then restarting newsbin in hopes that would recreate the Newsbin desktop but no.

Since completely uninstalling and re-installing fresh does not restore to the way it was, are there any specific files I can transfer from the backup that will allow me to get back what was? This was a surprise, I've been using Newsbin for many years and never had this happen before.

Thanks.

P.S.: I want Newsbin to look like it does at 30 seconds in on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg2jvnqG2jU and all I* have is just one huge search window.
megalomando
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/09/04

Postby megalomando » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Success! -

Guess this warrants a separate reply of my own; I just downloaded the registered users version from the download page and with that it looked the same with just the search window showing. I did the "Reset Layout Display on Restart" with the current version and it worked perfectly. My assumption is the current beta I had been using did not permit this restoration.
megalomando
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/09/04

Postby dexter » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:08 pm

Yes, "Reset Display Layout on Restart" looks to be broken in the beta. Glad you found a workaround.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support