NZB folder modes

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

NZB folder modes

Postby Kraton » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:09 pm

Where has the option 'Add group name to download folder' gone in the new version (nb640B3)?
How do I get the program to create the group name as a folder? Now everything goes into the head folder (in my case: E:\Newsbin). Image link not allowed for unregistered users
Kraton
n00b
n00b

Re: NZB folder modes

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:47 pm

In the main settings where you set the download path. Select "Edit" then double-click "$(GROUP) to add the group to the download path.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Kraton » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:30 am

That's not what I want. I want the option back where Newsbin automatically creates the folder named for the group (for example: boneless, which would result in: E:\Newsbin\boneless).
In your solution everything will be placed in one folder, just like it is now.
I really don't understand why this has been changed!
It worked fine as it was.
Kraton
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:13 am

$(GROUP) changes depending on what group you're actually downloading from.

The changes in 6.40 are experimental at the moment. Maybe I should be warning people off at this time.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby bootster » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:43 am

I went back to B2 because of this. I liked the way it was. I don't understand the added attraction of making me do more work to get the convenience of having the folder go to it's own group. Well, you know what I mean, I hope.
bootster
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 09/17/09

Postby DThor » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:59 am

The impetus behind it is to make it simpler, for sure. It's just not implemented fully, yet, being a beta. The intent was to eliminate having something like 6 toggles scattered in completely different areas of the options that all influence where something gets saved, and to consolidate how you do that in a consistent fashion. A lot of users would get frustrated with why something got put where and having to dig through the options to find why. Once this gets fleshed out, like with the toggles you'll set it and forget it and odds are most people will never touch it again. The hardcore users will have a much more flexible set of options for pathing.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:09 am

I went back to B2 because of this. I liked the way it was. I don't understand the added attraction of making me do more work to get the convenience of having the folder go to it's own group. Well, you know what I mean, I hope.

If you'd simply done what I suggested in my first post. It would be set and you wouldn't have to mess with it again. I know what you wanted and I told you how to achieve it. It's not clear to my why you didn't at least try what I suggested. It would have worked.

As D says, this'll be "set and forget" to most people.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Kraton » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:46 pm

The problem that the option 'NZB Dl Folder' is greyed out.
Kraton
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:23 pm

It's not a problem, it's a placeholder for when the code gets written in for that area.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:35 pm

The problem that the option 'NZB Dl Folder' is greyed out.

I must not have been clear enough. When you open the options window, the first page you see lets you set the download folder. That's the one you add group to.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby bootster » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:11 am

I just counted 124 groups in my download list. I don't know how long it would take me to sort all that out, and make individual folders, so I just "set it and forget it" by going back to B2.
bootster
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:31 am

bootster wrote:I just counted 124 groups in my download list. I don't know how long it would take me to sort all that out, and make individual folders, so I just "set it and forget it" by going back to B2.

Since it is only one place you have to set it (by adding the $(GROUP) variable to the Download path in Settings) instead of the check box that was required in the previous release I do not see how it is any harder or much different from an effort perspective.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby bootster » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:54 am

OK, I did what you suggested. Now it is creating new folders named "a.b" not "alt.binaries", and sorting them into that group. I guess it works, but somehow I would think that "power users" would be the ones who would need to change the default settings, not regular users like me. I had to come to a forum board to figure it out, it should be the other way around. If I wanted the flexibility of using this "option" it should be necessary to override the "default" setting, not vice versa.
bootster
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:29 am

bootster wrote:OK, I did what you suggested. Now it is creating new folders named "a.b" not "alt.binaries", and sorting them into that group. I guess it works, but somehow I would think that "power users" would be the ones who would need to change the default settings, not regular users like me. I had to come to a forum board to figure it out, it should be the other way around. If I wanted the flexibility of using this "option" it should be necessary to override the "default" setting, not vice versa.

This is an early beta of this facility so I would not assume that it will not change. To be honest if you are going to run a beta I would EXPECT you to need to visit the forum occasionally. In particular with some new functionality that still needs finalising and is not yet documented outside the beta forum.

Coming up with a.b. in the path rather than alt.binaries sounds like a bug that needs fixing if this is not the way the old option to include the group name worked. I guess we need to wait for a comment from Quade on that!

If I remember rightly the option to include the group in the download path was NOT a default setting so at some point you made that change yourself. The new way would probably be no harder for a brand new user - but for existing users it is a change so causes some disruption to their established way of thinking.

I am hoping that Quade might be able to do some sort of migration of the current settings to the new format as that will be desireable for users moving to the new release when it becomes generally available. However I do not see him working on such code until he has happy with getting the new functionality embedded in to the current beta releases.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 am

If I remember rightly the option to include the group in the download path was NOT a default setting so at some point you made that change yourself.

This. You set it one time in ages past. The default is to not use the group.

I'm getting the confusion. It's the mapping between the variable $(GROUP) to the actual group name. I'll have to factor that in when I make changes. I thought it was obvious that $(GROUP) represents the current group. So, it works no matter what the group name is.

This is like math class $(GROUP) = X. X gets filled in depending on whatever group you're downloading from.

The a.b.groupname was a design change I made. I didn't expect it to be controversial. I mean mentally you don't need to see "alt.binaries" each time do you? It also helps reduce the cases where the download path is too long.

I'm probably going to have to put a check box back in for the old users. It'll just automatically add "$(GROUP)" to each download path.

Dooh: As D says, it's beta. You're providing valuable feedback. I wasn't expecting this transition to be that difficult, now I know better.

I mean Itimpi sorry.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby bootster » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:43 pm

I like the change to "a.b" instead of "alt.binaries? I do understand that this is beta and hope to be beneficial to the discussion.
bootster
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support