Icons problem

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Icons problem

Postby RangerXus » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:23 pm

I am a paid user of Newsbin. just upgraded from version 5 to 6. I am running XP SP3. (I voted on the forum to keep XP support.)

When I RDP to my computer (which is how I always access it), the icons on the left of the list tabs are messed up. I see a background around the icons (such as the downloaded icon) and where there is not an icon (such as a single post that does not have the +) there is a black square. The icons appear correct when at my console.

I tried different versions of 6 and the problem occurs starting with versions after 6.20. In version 6.21 the change log said the icons for XP were changed to 32 bit.

XP Terminal services does not support 32-bit resolution. The highest it supports is 24-bit. I'm sure this is the problem. (Windows 7 terminal services does support 32-bit resolution RDP).

Since RDP is a standard function of Windows machines, is there any chance you can provide 24-bit icons for XP or downgrade them from 32-bit to 24-bit. IMHO this would have little affect on XP console users since the quality of the icons would still be good, but would fix the problem for XP users who RDP.

Currently I am stuck using version 6.20 since that is the last version that displays the icons correctly with RDP in XP.

Note Another problem is the latest version 6.40 beta crashes on me when I exit Newsbin. This does not seem to happen if I am downoading or have downloaded something but I did not do any indepth testing since I had to go back to 6.20.

Thanks.
RangerXus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/07/09

Re: Icons problem

Postby Quade » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:41 pm

XP Terminal services does not support 32-bit resolution. The highest it supports is 24-bit. I'm sure this is the problem. (Windows 7 terminal services does support 32-bit resolution RDP).

Yes, I'm sure it's the 32 bitness.

I'm accessing this machine through RD and I get 32 bit colors. So, you're saying the limit is in XP? 32 bits gives transparency so, I'm unlikely to downgrade the icons to 24. I have to say, at one point I had lower color icons and they looked like hell under XP. You might be better off with the black backgrounds. Sounds like it's just a cosmetic issue though. I mean, does it really matter if you have transparency in the icons? This doesn't sound like a functional problem at all. It's not clear to me why this would stop you from running a newer version. You know you don't get double-screen buffereing in XP too. That's why the display flashes some in XP but, doesn't in Vista/7.

I'm aware of the crash on exit problem in B2. It doesn't seem to hurt anything so, while I fully intend to fix it, it's not the highest thing on my list this second.

I won't say no. I have to look and see if the low color icons are still hidden in there somewhere.

Edit: I get it. You have no icons. How about VNC? Does it do 32 bit colors? That's what Dex uses.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby RangerXus » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:03 pm

I can't install VNC because this is a work laption that I use from home so I don't know the answer to VNC supporting 32-bit.

It's really more than cosmetic because every post that does not have a + (multi-post) has a black square in it's place. I'm guessing that represents a transparent square. It makes it really difficut and distracting) to view lists of posts with that black square glaring at the front of every post. The other icons that do display with a slight background border) don't bother me that much... if it were just that I'd be in agreement with you.
RangerXus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby RangerXus » Sun May 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Quade, I'm still running version 6.20 because of this problem. I'd like to upgrade to something newer since you are up to 6.0 beta +.
Do you know if the icon problems from XP via RDP was ever addressed?

Thanks.
RangerXus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby RangerXus » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:42 am

Sorry to bump my own thread but I have not heard back from anyone on this.

I see Newsbin is up to version 6.40 and greater. I'm still at 6.20 because of this problem.

As a paid, registered user I don't think requesting an reply is unreasonable.

Thanks
RangerXus
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:18 pm

As a paid, registered user I don't think requesting an reply is unreasonable.

I agree. I should have replied. Sometimes when I have no answer, I put things off.

The honest answer is I'm unlikely to fix this. XP is nearly defunct. I don't have a setup here to even test this. I don't test in XP at all. Dex does most of his testing in XP.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support