Header issues with Newsbin 6.x and Usenetbucket

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Header issues with Newsbin 6.x and Usenetbucket

Postby newsbasket » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:14 pm

I'm brand new to Newsbin and I'm having some persistent problems downloading headers. I only have one Usenet provider, UsenetBucket.

The first issue is that header downloads slow down to a nearly useless speed after a short time. In order to solve this I have to re-start Newsbin, but the problem returns and another restart is required to get a speed boost. I noticed that another user had this complaint last year (topic #38657). The problem is only with headers, not with files.

The next issue is if I tell Newsbin to download all available headers (1100 days on UsenetBucket), typically Newsbin will either get all headers from a small timeframe, or a seemingly random selection of headers from those that are really available. Even new headers which I know are available from using other tools (including the built-in internet search) simply aren't downloaded. I've been verifying this with test searches and viewing the list of all headers.

Turning off XFeatures solved a few other problems with headers, but these two problems remain. I've tried versions as far back as 6.53 in both 32bit and 64bit. Same problem in all versions. This could be an issue with UsenetBucket, a compatibility issue between Newsbin and UsenetBucket, or an issue with Newsbin.

EDITED: Removed disallowed hyperlink to topic #38657.
Last edited by newsbasket on Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newsbasket
n00b
n00b

Re: Header issues with Newsbin 6.x and Usenetbucket

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:20 pm

Look down at the line where it says "Cache: XXX/YYY (NNN)".

Is there a number in the N field? If so, you have headers that are currently importing and the reason you don't see them yet is they haven't finished importing yet.

If you've downloaded headers over and over and the number just keeps increasing. It might be worth purging them and starting over.

Let me know what you see.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby newsbasket » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:39 pm

It says: 200/200 (0)

I only had 10 groups in my list, but I've just deleted them, as well as the spool_v6 folder.

Since I posted earlier I haven't been able to get headers for any large group. After about an hour I get the message "ERROR UsenetBucket [group.name] Header Download failed", and the group still retains the seemingly random selection of headers it had previously.

I'm now trying to "Download Latest Headers" for a large group. In my settings I have download age as 1100, so I'm expecting about 1100 days of headers. With this download going on, the status bar says: 199/200 (1)

UPDATE 1: That failed after around 10 minutes with the same message.
UPDATE 2: Wiping everything and re-installing Newsbin, and setting the download age to 30 days, made no difference either. That failed after around 15 minutes with the same message.
newsbasket
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:35 pm

UPDATE 1: That failed after around 10 minutes with the same message.

Just restart again by "download latest" and see if it continues the download. It's not really that unusual for header downloads to drop out. You should just be able to restart them though. The fact you only have 1 GZ file suggests the header download is pretty slow.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support