StorageData.db3 - almost 10GB

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

StorageData.db3 - almost 10GB

Postby astrax » Mon May 23, 2016 4:41 pm

I have a few groups with very large StorageData.db3 files: some around 5GB, one even almost 10GB... when I want to show the posts for these groups, it really take a long time these days, to display them. Or to have header downloaded, and then display the groups. Sometimes NB not even recovering, which means I have to close and restart it: (after double clicking on a group) the "progress bar" (at least that's what I call it. The blue one, on the bottom of the group window) moves either reeeeally slow. Or it moves rather quick all across to the right, but then stays there and the group is not displayed. Or the group is displayed, but none of the actions (deleting or downloading) have any effect.
I'm suspecting the large db3-files have something to do with it (even though it wasn't that big of a deal in past versions. Using 6.70 now).

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Last edited by astrax on Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/31/10

Re: StorageData.db3 - almost 10GB

Postby Quade » Mon May 23, 2016 4:56 pm

10 gigs isn't that big.

Are you loading up the entire group every time?

What's the display age set to?

The point of the "Display Age" is to limit how much of the data you load into memory in one go. The shorter the time, the faster it'll load. StorageData isn't used when you're loading the group to look at it anyway.

Are you using "Poster Lockouts"? They slow everything down.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby astrax » Tue May 24, 2016 2:45 pm

10 gigs isn't that big.

Are you loading up the entire group every time?

TBH, I don't know what that exactly means - I double click on the group name in the groups list window to open it.

I have another question in connection (or maybe not) to this: I use the "download the latest group updates"-button, but when I open a group as mentioned above, headers get downloaded again. Why is that?

What's the display age set to?
The point of the "Display Age" is to limit how much of the data you load into memory in one go. The shorter the time, the faster it'll load. StorageData isn't used when you're loading the group to look at it anyway.

31 days.

Are you using "Poster Lockouts"? They slow everything down.

I used to add spammers to that list but haven't in a long time, since it's pretty much futile. So I could probably delete all of them, to see if it makes any difference.
Thanks.
Last edited by astrax on Wed May 25, 2016 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue May 24, 2016 5:02 pm

I have another question in connection (or maybe not) to this: I use the "download the latest group updates"-button, but when I open a group as mentioned above, headers get downloaded again. Why is that?

Because you're adding a second unnecessary step. If you just double-click the group it'll load and update. If you update then double-click, if just means it'll download new headers since the last update, which might be none.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby astrax » Thu May 26, 2016 6:11 am

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the reason/use for the button then?
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu May 26, 2016 7:41 am

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the reason/use for the button then?

You can use it any way you want.

Sometimes I want to download headers but don't look at them till later. Sometimes I just want to double-click the group and have both steps happen at once. There's no real downside to update, then double-clicking because Newsbin will just download the headers it doesn't have yet. Meaning if you've already got all the headers, the second double-click step is just a check.

I just suggested something I thought was more efficient. You can run it in any way that makes you happy. I just want to clarify that no extra headers are downloaded if you download headers twice in short order.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby astrax » Fri May 27, 2016 7:20 am

OK, got it.
astrax
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support