Some files (rar parts) not download correctly

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Some files (rar parts) not download correctly

Postby roywax » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:36 am

Hello,
Sometime when I download large files not all RAR files are downloaded correctly.
Why is this happening?
Can I download those parts specifically again?
Thanks,
Roy.
roywax
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/12/12

Re: Some files (rar parts) not download correctly

Postby DThor » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:53 am

It's not clear what you mean by 'correctly'. You can always re download anything, but depending on what you mean, you might just be repeating the process pointlessly. If a post was posted incorrectly or there's been a dmca takedown, it's not going to help. If it's a brand new post in the process of being uploaded, then it will help. As a rule of thumb, though, unless either you or the usenet server is having technical difficulties, there's not much point to a re download. It's the exception.

Look for messages in the logging tab, or red markers in the download queue. If it's indicated as 'post is not on server', that probably means you're out of luck.

If you're using autopar (the default), then newsbin will keep trying until you delete it from the queue. If you re-add it later, it will pick up from whatever chunks you've already downloaded.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby roywax » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:26 am

Hello,
Well, for example, I have a big download, like 20gb.
The client shows me there are 100 500mb files on the server and starts downloading.
The files don't reach their full size as stated by the software.
I am not getting any info from the client that the files are not being downloaded fully.
There is no end to the process.
So what can the problem be?
If the client knows the files on the server are not 500mb why doesn't it say files are corrupted?
Thanks,
Bye
roywax
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby DThor » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:05 am

As I've already mentioned, check the download queue for red 'chunks' - this means that chunk just isn't there. Also the logging tab will tell you 'post not on server'. It's just a theory, but that's probably what's going on. You might want to Google 'dmca takedown', if that's what's going on, this is what happens. The usenet server does indeed have headers for chunks, but they've been forced to delete the *contents* of the chunks after the facts. Some usenet providers have more or less of this sort of thing happening, also it depends mightily on what you're downloading.

You happen to be referring to a fairly large post, with particularly large individual file sizes. It's always possible this is related, but without reading the logging tab, you'll never figure it out.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby WsB » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:41 am

If, as stated in other posts, the chunks are missing, you're out of luck.

Sometimes, leaving it in for a little time will allow it to repair. If there is too much missing info it will fail and the only option is to find another post, or contact the postee asking them to re-upload.
WsB
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/09/05

Postby itimpi » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:49 pm

roywax wrote:I am not getting any info from the client that the files are not being downloaded fully.

It is not clear what you mean by this? There will be no prompt appearing to tell you that the download has failed, but there should be messages in the Logging tab saying what is happening if Newsbin is failing to get parts of a post.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby roywax » Sat May 14, 2016 11:01 am

Hello,

I has been some time since my last post regarding this.
I am using 6.62 Build 4358

Still same issue.
Files are not being downloaded.
"Stuck" in download list.

Example in logging:
[00:04:17] ERROR NW_DirectDownloadChunkWorker:Server Reports that parts of the file are missing Giganews ARTICLE <hVX5PcoksOxFaF0lnCV81_15o41@JBinUp.local>
|430 no such article (15/41) - [Lords-of-Usenet] <<Partner of SSL-News.info>> presents ..." - 1,41 GB - yEnc
[00:04:17] ERROR NW_DirectDownloadChunkWorker:Server Reports that parts of the file are missing Giganews ARTICLE <6b4Q1Tq6das50JC8yl5p_15o41@JBinUp.local>
|430 no such article (15/41) - [Lords-of-Usenet] <<Partner of SSL-News.info>> presents ... - 1,41 GB - yEnc
[00:04:18] ERROR NW_DirectDownloadChunkWorker:Server Reports that parts of the file are missing Giganews ARTICLE <ZlawxQVtMVHdplSQXuHr_15o41@JBinUp.local>
|430 no such article (15/41) - [Lords-of-Usenet] <<Partner of SSL-News.info>> presents ..." - 1,41 GB - yEnc

Mind u, this is from 12 hours ago...
Client is doing nothing.
0 Kbps

List is not changing, failed files not being removed.

How can this be correct behavior?

Thanks

Bye
roywax
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat May 14, 2016 1:30 pm

[00:04:17] ERROR NW_DirectDownloadChunkWorker:Server Reports that parts of the file are missing Giganews ARTICLE <hVX5PcoksOxFaF0lnCV81_15o41@JBinUp.local>

This is Giganews MO. They're the most aggressive about removing files. Anytime you see a 430 error, that's the news server saying "I don't have parts of that file".

If this is a big problem, you might need to switch servers. AW while they have issues aren't as aggressive. I still use Giga because I seldom download anything that might get removed but if I was mostly downloading heavily removed files, I'd pick a different server.

If you're in the EU, I hear Eweka is pretty good.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support