Remembered filters not taking effect

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Remembered filters not taking effect

Postby rh » Fri May 06, 2016 8:58 pm

Newsbins seems to remember filters by group - in that the ones active when I last loaded that group are used the next time I load that group. Handy.

With the most recent version, that's sort of stopped working. Sortof in that the age part isn't effective. It shows 10 but post older than that are listed. Re-selecting 10 from the drop down reloads the group and the display is correct.

The reload is pretty slow too. Is 46Gb excessive for Storage.db3? Storage age is at 2000.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/27/04

Re: Remembered filters not taking effect

Postby Quade » Sat May 07, 2016 7:33 am

What's your "display age" set to?

1 - You're right in that the drop down display date isn't persistent.

2 - Display Age though is the setting that will improve load performance. The shorter it is, the faster the headers will load. You can always load more but for daily browsing I'd probably keep it pretty short.

46 gigs is a decently large group.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby rh » Sat May 07, 2016 1:16 pm

1 - in my case, the drop down for "Age" is persistent, which I like. Maybe it's just the "display" that's persistent and not the actual internal value being used, hence why I'm seeing posts older than that. But for years it's worked. Fetch headers, load group, last 10 days of activity shown. Pretty routine and very consistent.

2 - My display age is usually 10 days. Last night after retrieving headers, waiting for the spool to finish, and loading the group, several posts > 10 days were displayed. The drop down showed 10, so I re- selected that. Took quite a while to load then, 15-20 minutes instead of 3-4, but it did and correctly displayed what was expected.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat May 07, 2016 1:25 pm

The drop down showed 10, so I re- selected that. Took quite a while to load then, 15-20 minutes instead of 3-4, but it did and correctly displayed what was expected.

The drop down doesn't re-load. If just applies a filter. That's why it has no impact on load speed.

For 10 days to cause you issues suggests you're talking about an awful lot of posts or that you machine is modestly powered. I've never ever seen it take even 3 minutes so, it sounds like it might be specific to the group or your PC.

What group is it?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby rh » Sat May 07, 2016 2:37 pm

I also have a Filter Profile in effect. The progress bar seems to go through three phases. Scanning where the amount of data to parse is not yet known. Then loading with a known amount of data. Then you have to look closely since for a moment the group might appear to be loaded since posts are displayed. But an empty progress bar is there and soon will start filling in what I'm thinking is a parsing phase - possibly because of the Filter Profile?

Just loaded again, 10 days shown in the drop down. Some post >10 days shown. This time when I re-selected 10, it updated instantly - with the 10 day rule filtering out the others. Switching between ages updates almost instantaneously.

A few weeks ago I re-downloaded all headers. Storage age was 365 so I bumped it to 2000 and downloaded all headers. The change in behavior started after this.

a.b.erotica

So, since you said the Age is not persistent, I guess that's "logically"? Since it is persistent in always being displayed when I load a group. Min size being the same way.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby malhusky » Mon May 09, 2016 8:46 pm

The drop down (saved filters) hasn't worked automatically since v6.62. The problem was reported in the beta version but apparently never got fixed. You have to reselect every time.
malhusky
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/13/10

Postby Quade » Tue May 10, 2016 10:59 am

Code: Select all
The drop down (saved filters) hasn't worked automatically since v6.62. The problem was reported in the beta version but apparently never got fixed. You have to reselect every time.

If you're talking about the filter profile drop down, this is intentional and won't be getting a fix. If you want to permanently assign a filter profile to a group, do it from the group properties. The filter profile on the filter bar is just to apply temporary filters.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby rh » Tue May 10, 2016 11:18 am

That's what I've done for a long time now - assigned the filter profile to the group.

So are you saying that the age/days filter should not be remembered? It has been for a long time in my experience. Still is, except now though remembered, it doesn't take effect until being re-selected.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Tue May 10, 2016 12:18 pm

So are you saying that the age/days filter should not be remembered? It has been for a long time in my experience. Still is, except now though remembered, it doesn't take effect until being re-selected.

There's a mix of issues in this topic and the specific one I'm talking about, the filter profiles, isn't intended to be persistent. Nothing else has changed.

If a filter appears persistent it should be persistent. Since the age drop down appears persistent but doesn't apply, it's a bug. There's only 2 ways to fix it.

1 - Clear the filters every time so it doesn't appear persistent.

2 - Make it apply so it both appears and is persistent.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby rh » Tue May 10, 2016 5:27 pm

Ok, so the persistent age drop down not taking effect is a bug. Easy enough workaround to re-select it - once I can get into that habit :-)

Just got to thinking though, maybe I should get in the habit of not using that drop down after getting new headers. It's not like it I end up with a huge list since Hide Old is persistent and in effect. So I guess what I was seeing in the posts tagged older than 10 days were actually 'new' posts since the last download that happen to be older than 10 days. My habit is to Mark Post Old on everything afterwards.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby malhusky » Tue May 10, 2016 6:14 pm

I hate to press the issue but my experience with 6.62 has been that whatever I select in the drop down list get's saved with the particular group I'm looking at (without me doing anything special). I can change it after I've loaded the group, exit Newsbin, load the group and the age appears as it was when I closed it (and it works). Each group can have a different value. Maybe I just got lucky somehow, but that doesn't usually apply to me. Personally I believe that's the way it should work anyway, unless you are going to clear the drop down value back to None, or whatever the new default is that you are using for the display. Version 6.62 works as I would expect but if you want to change it I would prefer to have it default to cover the age of the data since the group was last updated. And update the drop down list value too. That makes even more sense, IMO. I supposed marking the posts as old may negate some of this. But it appears different than it used to be.
malhusky
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/13/10

Postby Quade » Tue May 10, 2016 8:05 pm

I hate to press the issue but my experience with 6.62 has been that whatever I select in the drop down list get's saved with the particular group I'm looking at (without me doing anything special).

I think what you're missing is that I already consider it a bug that the age drop down isn't applying persistently.

I'm simply explaining that the filter profile drop down isn't intended to be and never will be persistent unless you set it in the options.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support