Search function not returning proper results

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Search function not returning proper results

Postby mas_astra » Wed May 04, 2016 3:21 pm

The Newsbin search function is not returning the results I would expect from doing a search. This has been an ongoing issue for me that I have overlooked because most of the groups I am searching in I already have headers downloaded for. However, in groups I am NOT subscribed to, I do not want to have to download all the headers to see what the search has not returned. In this instance (see below), I would have expected that the mp3 files and not just the par files would have shown in the search. Any explanation as to why this is an ongoing issue?

<Deleted>
mas_astra
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/10/11

Re: Search function not returning proper results

Postby Quade » Wed May 04, 2016 3:26 pm

Don't post what you're searching for here. You can PM it to me but not post it out in the open like that.

I'm downloading headers from that group and will take a look. The files are pretty old.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby mas_astra » Wed May 04, 2016 3:43 pm

Sorry, I forgot. I have had this issue before, and I do not believe that the age of the posts had much if anything to do with it.
mas_astra
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed May 04, 2016 3:58 pm

I see files from the headers. I asked Dex to look into it.

Are there other groups where you think this is happening?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby mas_astra » Wed May 04, 2016 4:33 pm

Yes, there are. However, I cannot recall which ones off the top of my head, but it seems that many of the "lossless" groups fall into that category. I will submit those to you as they occur.
mas_astra
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby dexter » Thu May 05, 2016 9:41 pm

mas_astra wrote:Yes, there are. However, I cannot recall which ones off the top of my head, but it seems that many of the "lossless" groups fall into that category. I will submit those to you as they occur.

I've resolved this in the first group you mentioned. The posts in question were really old and had inadvertently gotten purged out. They are coming up now when you search. If you notice any other groups having the same symptoms, let me know.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saintsinner » Sat May 07, 2016 5:17 pm

Instead of posting another topic, I'll toss my search problems on here too (note I download all headers, so am searching on the local drive)

With NB 6.70 (release) under windows 10 if you right click on a specific newsgroup on the group screen and click search in groups, then type whatever you're looking for, it searches through *ALL* groups not just the single group you've selected (or the subfolder of groups if you opt that way from the group screen)

Searching from the search window, choosing the sub section of groups THEN telling it to search seems to search in just those groups, but you're unable to search in one specific group using this method unless you put that group under its own folder.
saintsinner
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/09/07

Postby Quade » Sat May 07, 2016 5:23 pm

Instead of posting another topic, I'll toss my search problems on here too (note I download all headers, so am searching on the local drive)

If does look like you're correct though it seems to search all groups. Thanks for the report.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support