6.70 bld 4600 - some d/l files not in the file list

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

6.70 bld 4600 - some d/l files not in the file list

Postby stavros » Tue May 03, 2016 3:09 am

Hi,

I just upgraded to 6.70 build 4600 from RC2.

I noticed that when I downloaded some files, they appear in the download files tab and are downloded and then are remvoed from the download files tab, but they do not then appear in the file list tab.

On checking the log I see messages from FileIOThread e.g.
[06:33:26] DEBUG FileIOThread - <some file name>.txt Attempting to open file to scan for dataFileIOThread - <some other file name>.jpg Attempting to open file to scan for dataFileIOThread - <some file name>.txt Attempting to open file to scan for dataFileIOThread - <some file name>.txt Attempting to open file to scan for dataFileIOThread - <some file name>.txt Attempting to open file to scan for dataFileIOThread - <some file name>.txt Attempting to open file to scan for data

The above example is from d/l two files, then the first one another four times. (There also seems to be something wrong with the logging message, as it just seems to append....)

On further checking, it seems that the two files were already on the disk from some weeks in the past.

I have the 'Options' -> Filename Options -> Duplicate Filename Settings -> Auto Rename if file exists selected (tick in box).

Has something changed? As I'm fairly sure that in the past I'd be seeing the downloaded entries appearing in the file list, even if they're duplicates.
It was a bit confusing to queue up several hundred entries, watch them download and then not see anything in the file list tab!

I tried with and without Auto rename, no difference, the file does not appear in the file list.

If I delete the file on disk, it downloads correctly (and appears in the file list).

After about 6 or 7 attempts at downloading the duplicate file, the error message stops appearing in the log, I just see a blank DEBUG entry e.g.
[06:54:42] DEBUG
I suspect that a maximum length (about 1000 chars?) is reached somewhere and it gives up :-)

regards
Stavros.
stavros
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/24/03

Re: 6.70 bld 4600 - some d/l files not in the file list

Postby Quade » Tue May 03, 2016 9:18 am

[06:33:26] DEBUG FileIOThread - <some file name>.txt Attempting to open file to scan for dataFileIOThread - <some other file name>.jpg Attempting to open file to scan for dataFileIOThread - <some file name>.txt Attempting to open file to scan for dataFileIOThread - <some file name>.txt Attempting to open file to scan for dataFileIOThread - <some file name>.txt Attempting to open file to scan for dataFileIOThread - <some file name>.txt Attempting to open file to scan for data

This is telling you that the file you're downloading already exists on disk so Newsbin is trying to check it to see if it's really the same file. Newsbin won't re-download a file that already exists.

I'll have to try to reproduce this with existing files on disk.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby stavros » Tue May 03, 2016 1:54 pm

OK, thanks for checking, Quade. Let me know if I can provide more info.

Does it behave the same regardless of the setting of the 'Options' -> Filename Options -> Duplicate Filename Settings -> Auto Rename if file exists selected (tick in box) ?
stavros
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/24/03

Postby Quade » Tue May 03, 2016 2:11 pm

Duplicate filename settings apply if the files have the same name but different content. If the filename is the same and the content is the same, Newsbin makes no attempt to save a copy of the file.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support